Himachal may cancel land allotted to Tibetans: DhumalFebruary 23rd, 2012 - 5:37 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 23 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Thursday said his government will cancel allotment of land by the previous Congress government to Tibetan refugees if an ongoing probe found “any irregularity” was committed.
Dhumal said the allocation of land by the Virbhadra Singh-government to exiled Tibetans “is being enquired into”.
“The Virbhadra government himself amended (land) laws to favour Tibetans. The allocation of land would be cancelled, if any irregularity is found,” the chief minister told reporters
The cancellation threat comes two days after Virbhadra Singh, the union minister of micro, small and medium enterprises, slammed the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led government in Himachal Pradesh for violating land laws by giving special permission to Team Anna member and counsel Prashant Bhushan to buy property in the state.
Dhumal said the land in Palampur town of Kangra district was allotted to Bhushan’s Kumud Bhushan Educational society on his request.
Virbhadra Singh, a five-time former chief minister and Congress leader alleged that Bhushan’s society had bought a tea garden that violated the Himachal Pradesh Ceiling on Land Holdings Act of 1972.
The row over the land given to Tibetans, who fled to India in 1959 with their spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, is in a court since November 2010.
A division bench of the Himachal Pradesh High Court has issued notice to the Tibetan government-in-exile based in Dharamsala, the central and state governments regarding the case.
- Himachal land purchase by Bhushan illegal: Virbhadra - Feb 21, 2012
- Prashant Bhushan given permission to buy land in Himachal - Dec 24, 2011
- Five-time Himachal minister dead - Sep 01, 2012
- Himachal BJP releases Congress's charge sheet - May 17, 2012
- 10 cases of Tibetans illegally buying Himachal land - Apr 08, 2011
- 'Himachal on Sale' say BJP, Congress (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Sep 14, 2012
- Dalai Lama honours Virbhadra Singh - May 01, 2010
- BJP united, Congress divided ahead of polls (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Jul 28, 2012
- Virbhadra moves to grab reins of power (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 15, 2012
- Virbhadra accuses Dhumal of vindictiveness - Jul 01, 2012
- Virbhadra Singh seeks speedy trial in graft case - Sep 07, 2012
- Centre ignored protests over cement plant in 2004: Dhumal - May 13, 2012
- Anxiety in BJP over move to make Virbhadra Himachal Congress chief (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Aug 25, 2012
- Himachal Congress legislators knock on Sonia's door (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 22, 2012
- Nothing to do with Virbhadra episode, says BJP - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: allotment, bharatiya janata party, bhushan, bjp, chief minister, congress government, congress leader, dalai lama, division bench, educational society, favour, irregularity, small and medium enterprises, spiritual leader, state governments, tea garden, tibetan government in exile, tibetan refugees, union minister, virbhadra singh