Himachal Congress chief rules out resignationMay 18th, 2009 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 18 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh Congress chief Kaul Singh Thakur Monday ruled out his resignation in the wake of the party’s poor performance in parliamentary elections in the hill state.
“There is no question of submitting the resignation (in the wake of the party’s poor performance in the just-concluded elections),” he told reporters here.
“The ruling party (Bharatiya Janata Party) has misused official machinery to woo the voters,” he said.
Replying to a question, Thakur said the party would soon analyse the reasons for its defeat.
The BJP won three out of Himachal’s four seats while former Congress chief minister Virbhadra Singh won the Mandi seat by a margin of over 13,000 votes.
Regarding the Congress’ defeat in the Shimla reserved seat, which was a known Congress bastion, Thakur said: “We will shortly study our weaknesses and shortcomings.”
In the 2004 general elections, the Congress had won the Shimla, Kangra and Mandi parliamentary seats, while the BJP got the Hamirpur seat.
- People voted for good governance: Himachal CM (Roundup) - May 16, 2009
- Disillusionment, infighting caused Congress defeat - Jun 02, 2012
- BJP sweeping polls in Himachal Pradesh - May 16, 2009
- Sonia rallies in Himachal in September - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP leading in three Himachal seats, Congress in one (Lead) - May 16, 2009
- Virbhadra Singh is Himachal Congress chief - Aug 26, 2012
- Suspense over Virbhadra as Himachal Congress chief - Aug 25, 2012
- Keen poll contest likely in Himachal Pradesh - Mar 03, 2009
- Congress assures sulking Virbhadra of larger say in candidate selection (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Himachal Congress tries to put house in order (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - Apr 28, 2012
- BJP leading in all Himachal Lok Sabha seats - May 16, 2009
- Spotlight on Mandi, Hamirpur (Poll curtainraiser - Himachal Pradesh) - May 12, 2009
- Congress loses Shimla local polls after 26 years (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Congress tries to mollify sulking Virbhadra - Jul 27, 2012
- Winning panchayat polls a priority: Himachal Congress chief - Oct 26, 2010
Tags: bastion, bjp, chief minister, congress, general elections, himachal, kangra, kaul, parliamentary elections, parliamentary seats, poor performance, resignation, ruling party, shimla, shortcomings, thakur, virbhadra singh