Himachal assembly passes Lokayukta billApril 6th, 2012 - 4:36 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 6 (IANS) The Himachal Pradesh assembly Friday passed the Lokayukta bill in the absence of the opposition Congress, with Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal saying it is “more strong and constitutional than Uttarakhand’s bill”.
“That (Uttarakhand) bill has not so far been given assent by the president due to some legal hitches, but our bill is fully constitutional and comprehensive,” Dhumal said.
Before the bill was introduced, Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal had criticised the Himachal bill as “very weak and ineffective”. He had asked the state to follow the Uttarakhand system of Lokayukta.
Dhumal said the bill gives the Lokayukta powers of contempt of court on par with the high court by incorporating a new clause.
“The Lokayukta shall have and exercise the same jurisdiction, powers and authority in respect of contempt of itself as a high court has and may exercise, and, for this purpose, the provisions of the Contempt of Courts Act, 1971, shall have the effect subject to the modification that the references therein to a high court shall be construed as including a reference to the Himachal Lokayukta,” says the clause.
The bill was introduced in the assembly Wednesday to put an effective Lokayukta system in place by giving more power to the ombudsman.
- Himachal assembly passes Lokayukta bill (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Himachal introduces bill to strengthen Lokayukta (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Himachal introduces bill to strengthen Lokayukta - Apr 04, 2012
- No need to follow Uttarakhand on Lokayukta: Dhumal - Apr 03, 2012
- Kejriwal can't dictate terms: Dhumal - Mar 13, 2012
- Jurists differ on controversial Gujarat Lokayukta appointment - Sep 05, 2011
- Suspended BJP MP on protest fast against Himachal's Lokayukta act - Apr 05, 2012
- We will give Lokayukta more powers in Himachal: Chief Minister (Interview) - Dec 30, 2011
- Why president's assent was needed for Lokpal bill - Dec 28, 2011
- BJP, Team Anna cross swords on Himachal Lokayukta bill - Apr 02, 2012
- Three northeastern states to get high courts by October - May 17, 2012
- Gujarat Lokayukta: Subversion of constitution or sticking to rules? - Sep 06, 2011
- Himachal Lokayukta will be strengthened, says new chief - Feb 03, 2012
- MP protests Himachal's Lokayukta act (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Voluntary groups send a model Lokpal bill to PM - Dec 01, 2010