Highways blocked in Punjab, life affected in HaryanaMay 31st, 2012 - 1:13 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 31 (IANS) Hundreds of ruling Shiromani Akali Dal-Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists Thursday blocked traffic on highways across Punjab following the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and Left parties’ calls for a nationwide shutdown to protest the recent petrol price hike.
Undeterred by the summer heat, protestors blocked Amritsar-Delhi National Highway No.1 (NH-1) near Amritsar. They also blocked the Punjab-Jammu national highway near Tanda town in Hoshiarpur district, 180 km from here.
Highways were also blocked in Bathinda and Jalandhar districts.
Markets across Punjab wore a deserted look at most places.
In neighbouring Haryana, the response to the strike call was a mixed one. Haryana is a Congress ruled state but opposition parties were trying to rally people to protest the petrol price hike.
In Chandigarh, BJP workers blocked the railway track near Vikas Nagar area.
- Shutdown affects life in Punjab (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Punjab ruling alliance claims complete shutdown in state - Jul 04, 2011
- Farmers block rail, road traffic in Punjab - Dec 08, 2011
- BJP activists stop trains in Punjab, Haryana - Apr 03, 2012
- Over 30 per cent polling in Punjab municipal poll - Jun 10, 2012
- Millions of potatoes carpet Jalandhar streets as farmers protest - Dec 15, 2011
- Punjab farmers end agitation; road, rail blockade ends - Dec 11, 2011
- Mixed response to FDI strike in Punjab, Haryana - Dec 01, 2011
- Record voting in Punjab, nearly 77 cast franchise (Intro Roundup) - Jan 31, 2012
- BJP to stop trains in eight states Tuesday - Apr 02, 2012
- 65 per cent voting in Punjab (Evening Lead) - Jan 30, 2012
- National Highway No:1: India's melancholy road - Jul 01, 2011
- Over 77 percent voting in Punjab, one killed in violence (Roundup) - Jan 30, 2012
- Shutdown: Mixed response in Punjab, poor in Haryana - Jul 05, 2010
- Shutdown affects Punjab, Rajoana appeals for peace (Third Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: activists, bathinda, chandigarh, congress, highway no 1, highways, jalandhar, left parties, national democratic alliance, nda, neighbouring, opposition parties, petrol price hike, protestors, railway track, summer heat, traffic