Highlights of President Pratibha Patil’s addressAugust 14th, 2008 - 9:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 14 (IANS) Following are the highlights of President Pratibha Patil’s address to the nation Thursday on the eve of Independence Day: * Terrorism will never succeed in discouraging us from our resolve in building a strong India.
* No place for violence as it undermines progress.
* Multilateral issues be made more equitable and reflect contemporary realities.
* Calls upon countrymen to work for a strong democratic India that is economically vibrant and modern.
* Implement development and social welfare schemes with dedication and zeal.
* Advocates special attention to the development of agriculture and rural areas.
* Calls upon agro-scientists to usher in a second Green Revolution.
* Stresses the need for sustainable and cleaner sources to address energy security issues.
* Asks scientists and researchers to find efficient and cost-effective options for growth.
* Asks to focus on imparting values and building skills of youth to create a productive work force.
* Calls for better growth avenues for women to help overcome prejudices against them.
* Malpractices like dowry, female foeticide, and drug addiction must be eradicated from our society - media has an important role to play in this.
* Emphasises upholding high moral values of truth and non-violence.
* Age-old values of harmony, tolerance and mutual respect hold the country together.
* Calls for focussing equally on duties along with rights.
Tags: countrymen, democratic india, dowry, drug addiction, emphasises, energy security, female foeticide, focussing, growth avenues, india no place, moral values, multilateral issues, mutual respect, prejudices, president pratibha patil, productive work force, second green revolution, security issues, social welfare schemes, zeal