Highlights of PM’s Independence Day speechAugust 15th, 2011 - 10:16 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) Highlights of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s Independence Day speech:
* Without understanding and restraint, our security and integrity can get adversely affected.
* Some people who want to create disturbances in the country so that our progress gets stalled.
* This is the time “to rise above our personal or political interests and build consensus on issues of national importance”.
* We have provided political stability and socio and economic progress.
* We have established an environment of communal harmony in the country.
* His seven years have seen rapid economic development.
* We have taken special care of the needs of our brothers and sisters from Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, minorities, women and children.
* Promises food security legislation soon.
* The country is full of “confidence and self-respect”.
* Corruption is a big obstacle in national transformation.
* Corruption should be discussed in a manner that “should not create an atmosphere in which country’s progress comes into question”.
* The government is taking strictest possible action in cases of corruption.
* There is no single big step which we can take to eradicate corruption.
* Corruption cannot be eradicated unless “we improve our justice delivery system”.
* Want strong Lokpal to prevent corruption in high places.
* Hunger strikes and fast-unto-death will not help.
* Nothing should be done to dilute independence of the judiciary.
* Acknowledges “misuse of governmental discretion in allocation of scarce resources”.
* Government taking steps to reduce corruption in government projects.
* Government will lay down principles and practices with regard to government purchases.
* No government has a “magic wand” to eradicate corruption.
* We have to fight against corruption on many fronts.
* Compliments farmers on producing a record level food grains.
* We need a second Green Revolution.
* Acknowledges “a phase of sustained high inflation”.
* Our government fully understands its responsibility to control rise in prices.
* International markets fuel inflation in India.
* Finding a solution to inflation will be our top most priority in the coming months.
* Land acquisition must be transparent and fair.
* Government will establish a new Education Commission to suggest improvements in education at all levels.
* 12th Five Year Plan should focus on health.
* Investment in infrastructure has grown more than one-and-a-half times in the last seven years.
* “We want to make India slum-free…We want the slum dwellers to get ownership of clean houses.”
* “Malnutrition in women and children is a matter of concern for all of us.”
* Declining sex ratio “a matter of deep regret…essential to change the approach with which our society views girls and women”.
* Should not lower guard against terrorism; it is a long battle to be fought jointly by the central government, state governments and citizens.
* Will eradicate the very reasons which gave rise to Naxalism.
* Warns against climate change and promises “an environmental assessment and monitoring authority to streamline the process of environmental clearances”.
* Acknowledges the younger generation’s higher aspirations; institutions should tap our people’s potential.
* “Our entrepreneurs and businessmen should not feel constrained in their activities.”
* “We should all stay away from tactics that create suspicion or apprehension among those connected with industry, business and investment.”
* Development should not increase inequalities.
* We have the collective capacities and the confidence to deal with tensions and conflicts in society.
- Text of PM'S Independence Day Speech - Aug 15, 2011
- Corruption a deep concern for all: PM - Aug 15, 2011
- Economist prime minister has failed: BJP - Jun 29, 2011
- President Patil expresses concern over rising inflation - Jan 25, 2011
- We also want strong Lokpal, no hunger strikes please: PM (Roundup) - Aug 15, 2011
- Need multipronged fight against graft: PM (Lead) - Aug 15, 2011
- Resolving IPL graft charges a challenge for BCCI: Maken - May 15, 2012
- PM silent on foreign policy, Pakistan - Aug 15, 2012
- PM's speech failed to address people's concerns: BJP, Left - Aug 15, 2011
- Text of PM's message - Dec 31, 2011
- Look within on corruption, Sonia tells Team Anna - Nov 09, 2011
- Text of PM's statement in parliament - Dec 27, 2011
- NRIs in Canada throw weight behind Anna Hazare - Apr 07, 2011
- Cynicism, indifference trails PM's I-Day speech - Aug 15, 2011
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: allocation of scarce resources, castes, communal harmony, corruption in government, economic progress, food grains, government projects, government purchases, hunger strikes, level food, magic wand, manmohan, manmohan singh, political interests, political stability, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, rapid economic development, second green revolution, security legislation