Highlights of BJP manifestoApril 3rd, 2009 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) The following are the highlights of the election manifesto released by the main opposition Bharatiya Janata Party Friday:
- All below poverty line (BPL) families to get 35 kg of rice or wheat every month at Rs.2 per kg.
- Bicycles to every school going girl child from BPL families.
- Waiver of all agricultural loans and ensure farm loans at a maximum interest rate of 4 percent.
- Building 15-20 km of new highways every day.
- No personal income tax for those earning up to Rs.300,000 per annum. For women and senior citizens, the exemption will be Rs.350,000 per year.
- Committed to the construction of a Ram Mandir at Ayodhya.
- To evolve a new route for Sethu Samudram bypassing Ram Setu.
- Firm steps to identify and retrieve Indian money stashed away in foreign banks.
- Ban on foreign direct investment (FDI) in retail sector to help domestic retail trade.
- To introduce POTA-type anti-terror law.
- To detect, detain and deport illegal immigrants.
- A comprehensive National Identity Card for all.
- All members of the armed forces and the para-military to be exempted from paying income tax.
- To set up a separate pay commission for the armed forces and also revisit the existing pay structure.
- To bring 33 percent reservation for women in legislatures.
- Student loans to be made cheaper and accessible by fixing interest at 4 percent.
- Promise to create 1.2 million IT-enabled jobs in rural areas.
- To launch an aggressive project to groom sporting talent by allocating Rs.5,000 crore ($1 billion) for creation of sports infrastructure.
- A mandatory “Dial 108″ for ambulance at your doorstep across country.
- Revive the creation of new All India Institutes of Medical Sciences in the country.
- Education and job quota will be introduced for economically backward sections of society.
- Tax exemption to senior citizens in respect of pension income.
- Priority to fight against climate change and global warming.
- Take appropriate steps to save tiger and safeguard critical habitants of all wildlife.
- Cleaning of Ganges and other major rivers a priority.
Tags: agricultural loans, ayodhya, climate change, election manifesto, farm loans, fdi in retail sector, foreign banks, girl child, illegal immigrants, indian money, janata party, maximum interest rate, national identity card, pay structure, pension income, personal income tax, poverty line, ram mandir, rs 2, senior citizens