High security for Jayalalithaa’s court appearance ThursdayOctober 19th, 2011 - 11:03 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Oct 19 (IANS) The city’s central jail will turn into a fortress Thursday, not because former Karnataka chief minister B.S. Yeddyurappa is lodged there, but to facilitate Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa’s appearance in a court in the complex.
Around 1,000 police personnel, headed by a joint commissioner of police, will be on duty around the jail complex in the eastern suburb of Parappana Agrahara where a Bangalore court will hold a special sitting to record Jayalalithaa’s statement in a corruption case against her.
“We have imposed prohibitory orders banning assembly of five or more persons in a 500 metre radius of the jail complex from late Wednesday till the Tamil Nadu chief minister leaves for Chennai Thursday,” a Bangalore city police spokesperson told IANS.
Jayalalithaa is to give her statement in the over a decade-old case in which she is charged with amassing Rs.66 crore between 1991 and 1996 when she was chief minister of Tamil Nadu.
This will be the first appearance of Jayalalithaa in the Bangalore court to which the case was shifted from Chennai in November 2003 to ensure free and fair trial.
Her last minute bid to get exemption from personal appearance citing security concerns or to change the venue of the court sitting failed Wednesday with the Supreme Court rejecting her plea and directing her to appear Thursday.
Following the apex court decision, the special court judge B.M. Mallikarjunaiah, who is hearing the disproportionate assets case, also directed Jayalalithaa to appear before him Thursday.
He also rejected her plea to shift the venue of his sitting from the jail complex to the premises of a flying school as that was closer to the Bangalore International Airport, about 35 km from city centre.
The Parappana Agrahara is about 60 km from the international airport.
- Jayalalithaa reappears in court in assets case - Oct 21, 2011
- Special court in prison complex for Jayalalithaa's appearance - Oct 18, 2011
- Jayalalithaa faces 758 questions in assests case - Oct 21, 2011
- Jayalalithaa answers nearly 600 more questions in assets case - Oct 21, 2011
- You have to appear in person, court tells Jayalalithaa - Aug 12, 2011
- Face trial in Bangalore Thursday, apex court tells Jayalalithaa - Oct 19, 2011
- Jayalalitha again deposes in illegal assets case - Nov 22, 2011
- Jayalalithaa to now appear in court Nov 22 - Nov 08, 2011
- Yeddyurappa gets bail in one case - Nov 03, 2011
- Yeddyurappa stays in jail, bail hearing Nov 8 - Nov 04, 2011
- Apex court refuses to suspend Jayalalithaa's trial (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Maudany's wife gets to meet him in jail - Sep 22, 2010
- Jayalalithaa dubs illegal assets' case politically motivated - Nov 24, 2011
- Jayalalithaa's plea against court appearance rejected - Nov 04, 2011
- Hearing on Kannada actor's bail plea after two weeks (Lead) - Sep 22, 2011
Tags: apex court, bangalore city, central jail, chief minister of tamil nadu, city police, commissioner of police, corruption case, court appearance, crore, eastern suburb, first appearance, high security, j jayalalithaa, karnataka chief minister, metre radius, old case, personal appearance, police spokesperson, s central, security concerns