High court notice to Haryana’s defector legislatorsAugust 11th, 2010 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 11 (IANS) The Punjab and Haryana High Court Wednesday issued notice to five legislators of the Haryana Janhit Congress (HJC) who defected to the ruling Congress in the state last year.
Justice Permod Kohli issued notice to Haryana assembly Speaker H.S. Chatha and the five defector legislators — Satpal Sangwan, Vinod Bhayana, Narender Singh, Zile Ram and Dharam Singh. They have been asked to reply by Sep 1, the next date of hearing.
All five legislators were elected to the state assembly October last year on HJC ticket but defected to the Congress in November, leaving HJC president Kuldip Bishnoi as the lone HJC legislator in the house.
Their ‘merger’ of the HJC into the Congress was allowed by the assembly speaker. The notice by the high court was issued following a petition moved by Bishnoi against the merger.
Bishnoi has sought the disqualification of these five legislators from the assembly under the anti-defection law. Bishnoi alleged that the speaker was trying to shield the defector legislators.
Bishnoi said that the speaker allowed the merger of the group of defector HJC legislators into the Congress without giving any notice to the HJC president. He termed the merger as unconstitutional.
The HJC president claimed that Chatha was using delaying tactics on the petitions he filed before the speaker.
The ruling Congress led by Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda could not manage simple majority in the 90-member assembly in the October assembly poll. It took the support of seven Independent legislators to come back to power.
Later, the HJC group of legislators merged with the Congress to take the Congress strength to a comfortable 45 seats in the 90-seat assembly.
- Defector Haryana lawmakers want disqualification petition dismissed - Nov 10, 2011
- Haryana's defector legislators object to hearing - Feb 04, 2011
- Court declares five Haryana lawmakers as unattached (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Defectors, independents, dissidents - all part of Hooda government - Feb 13, 2011
- Supreme Court breather for five Haryana legislators (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Haryana speaker asked to decide on defectors within 4 months - Dec 20, 2010
- Hooda expands ministry, includes HJC defectors - Jan 28, 2011
- Four HJC lawmakers join Congress in Haryana, one more to join (Intro Roundup) - Nov 10, 2009
- Four HJC legislators join Congress in Haryana (Lead) - Nov 09, 2009
- Four HJC lawmakers join Congress in Haryana (Roundup) - Nov 09, 2009
- Judge withdraws from Haryana lawmakers' case - Nov 17, 2010
- Defecting Haryana legislators, speaker given 6 weeks to reply - Sep 01, 2010
- Bishnoi wants 'defector' HJC legislators unseated - Dec 09, 2009
- Court reserves decision in legislators' case - Dec 17, 2010
- Bishnoi resigns from Haryana assembly - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: assembly poll, assembly speaker, bishnoi, chatha, chief minister, defection, defector, dharam singh, hjc, hooda, independent legislators, legislator, member assembly, narender, petitions, punjab and haryana high court, seat assembly, state assembly, vinod, zile