High Court bars Amethi’s name changeSeptember 21st, 2012 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 21 (IANS) The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court Friday struck down the notification of the then Mayawati government, changing the name of Amethi district to Chattrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar.
A bench of Justices Sabibul Husnain and D.K. Arora passed this decision on a petition filed by Manoj Kumar Rastogi, who had contended that no name of any district could be changed till Dec 31, 2011 as the census was underway.
The then chief minister Mayawati, through a notification July 1, 2010 had carved out the district by taking Salon and Tiloi areas from Rae Bareli (Congress chief Sonia Gandhi’s parliamentary constituency), and adding Gauriganj, Musafirkhana and Amethi tehsils (revenue sub-divisions).
Mayawati’s successor, Akhilesh Yadav had, soon after the swearing in of his Samajwadi Party government, had reversed the name change.
Amethi was earlier represented in the Lok Sabha by Sonia Gandhi and is now being represented by her son and Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi.
- Gadkari condemns Amethi re-naming - Jul 03, 2010
- Congress leaders express dissatisfaction over creating new district from Amethi constituency - Jul 02, 2010
- Maya attacks Akhilesh for changing names of eight districts (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Mayawati's plan for new district including Amethi okayed - Sep 01, 2010
- Apex court okays new Uttar Pradesh district including Amethi (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- 57 percent turnout estimated in UP poll's fourth phase (Evening Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- Vote for change, Priyanka Gandhi urges UP voters - Feb 03, 2012
- All eyes on Lucknow in fourth phase of UP polls - Feb 18, 2012
- Mayawati's move to rename Amethi stayed - Aug 18, 2010
- Poll panel shunts UP officials for being Mayawati 'agents' - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,