Hezbollah denies planning to launch war inside IsraelApril 15th, 2008 - 11:55 pm ICT by admin
Beirut, April 15 (DPA) The Lebanese Shia movement Hezbollah denied Tuesday a report by the Iranian news agency Fars that it will launch an offensive within Israel itself if the Jewish state started a new war. “We would not initiate war but in case they wage any war in the future … there will be a counter-attack behind the front lines … and for the first time since 1948 in Palestine itself,” Fars quoted a Hezbollah politburo member as telling Syrian magazine al-Hakika.
Hezbollah said in a statement that al-Hakika magazine “did not conduct an interview with any of the Shura Council members, and thus, remarks attributed to the so-called Shura Council member to Fars news agency are absolutely not true.”
The allegedly high-ranking Hezbollah official was also quoted by al-Hakika as saying that the body of slain Hezbollah military commander Imad Mughaniyeh was moved to Lebanon before Syrian secret service agents had the chance to examine it.
Mughaniyeh was assassinated in a Damascus car bombing Feb 12.
Hezbollah leader Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah ordered Mughaniyeh’s body to be transferred “immediately” to Lebanon minutes after the bombing, Fars quoted the Hezbollah official as saying.
He added that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad asked Nasrallah to keep the identity of the assassinated official secret but the Hezbollah leader refused.
The Shia group accused Israel of killing Mughaniyeh and pledged to avenge his death.
The Iranian news agency also quoted the Hezbollah Shura Council member as saying the investigation into Mughaniyeh’s killing “has ended but we will announce its results at the right time”.
- Syria was shocked at top Hezbollah operative's assassination two yrs back: Wikileaks - Dec 08, 2010
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- US imposes sanctions on Hezbollah leaders - Sep 14, 2012
- Assange interviews Hezbollah chief on Russian channel - Apr 18, 2012
- Hezbollah says ready for another war with Israel - Nov 12, 2010
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Lebanese Shias mourning death of leader Fadlallah (Lead) - Jul 04, 2010
- Hezbollah chief calls on Lebanon to build nuclear reactor - Aug 25, 2010
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Syrian defence minister, deputy killed in Damascus bombing (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Hezbollah link to Israeli car blast? - Feb 13, 2012
- Latest WikiLeaks cables reveal Israel's alliances and worst fears - Apr 08, 2011
Tags: bashar al assad, car bombing, council member, council members, damascus, dpa, hezbollah, iranian news, jewish state, magazine al, military commander, new war, news agency, politburo member, president bashar, secret service agents, sheikh hassan nasrallah, shia, shura council, syrian president bashar al