Hezbollah chief calls for death penalty for spiesMay 23rd, 2009 - 4:23 am ICT by IANS
Beirut, May 23 (DPA) The leader of Lebanon’s Hezbollah movement, Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah, urged Friday that Lebanese prosecutors seek capital punishment against recently captured Israel-linked espionage ring members.
In a televised address commemorating the ninth anniversary of the Israeli withdrawal from south Lebanon, Nasrallah said: “I call for capital punishment for all arrested agents and beginning with the Shiite agents first.”
Lebanese authorities are holding up to 30 suspects in what was described by security sources as a “wide-scale investigation into espionage” by Israel. A woman and a 70-year-old man were arrested in the past 24 hours.
At least 18 suspects have already been charged.
Lebanon is also demanding from Israel through the UN peacekeepers, that it hand over at least two Lebanese men who are suspected members of the spy ring and who managed to flee earlier this week to Israel via the southern Lebanese border.
Nsrallah charged that any Lebanese working for Israeli intelligence is dangerous, saying: “Espionage rings do not only work on gathering data. Some carry out operations. Twenty kilograms of TNT were uncovered at the home of one agent - this brings up a lot of questions.”
He called for the full cooperation by all citizens with security forces for uncovering all Israeli agents.
Nasrallah, referring to Lebanese Parliamentary elections June 7, called for “a strong, just and capable state.”
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- Hezbollah says ready for another war with Israel - Nov 12, 2010
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Lebanese spying for Israel sentenced to death - Aug 18, 2010
- Thousands attend funeral of Hezbollah leader - Jul 07, 2010
- Hezbollah chief says US role is diminishing in the region - Dec 01, 2009
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- Israel, Lebanon exchange fire on border - Aug 03, 2010
- Israel should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- rael should not panic over a Hezbollah run Lebanon: Experts - Jan 25, 2011
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012
- Hezbollah threatens to strike Israeli ships - May 26, 2010
- US imposes sanctions on Hezbollah leaders - Sep 14, 2012
- Israel builds wall on Lebanese border - Apr 30, 2012
- Hezbollah chief calls on Lebanon to build nuclear reactor - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: capital punishment, espionage, full cooperation, hezbollah, israeli agents, israeli intelligence, israeli withdrawal, kilograms, lebanese authorities, lebanese border, lebanese men, lebanese parliamentary elections, ninth anniversary, ring members, scale investigation, security sources, sheikh hassan nasrallah, south lebanon, spy ring, un peacekeepers