Helpless about spending before poll dates announced: ECAugust 24th, 2011 - 12:01 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 23 (IANS) The Election Commission of India (ECI) Tuesday expressed helplessness at the rampant use of black money in the run up to the elections, before the polling dates are announced.
Speaking to reporters here, after taking stock of electoral preparations in the state, which is scheduled for polls sometime next year, Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi said that while everyone was aware that huge sums of black money was spent to induce voters, there was nothing that the poll panel could do about it, until the announcement of poll dates.
“We know it happens. You (media) know it happens. Political parties know it happens. We cannot do anything about it other than keeping an eye and making dossiers. We can only act after our writ runs,” he added.
Quraishi said that during his meeting with all five political parties in the state, their representatives had complained about rampant splurging of black money by potential assembly election candidates in constituencies, in order to induce voters.
“We have taken note of their complaints,” he said, adding that polls in Goa were due in June next year and that the dates would be announced in the near future.
- Cricket first, poll meet with PM later! - Feb 02, 2012
- Can postpone Uttar Pradesh school exams for polls: CEC - Dec 22, 2011
- Paid news phenomenon bothersome: Poll panel head - Aug 23, 2011
- Finger printing, spot photos of all voters soon: CEC - Feb 01, 2012
- Dates for assembly polls within next few days: Quraishi - Dec 16, 2011
- Don't dare to ignore poll panel's directives, Goa warned - Feb 02, 2012
- Poll panel keeping eye on large cash withdrawals - Jan 16, 2012
- Quraishi reacts strongly to Badal's remarks on jurisdiction (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi says polls in Goa within couple of months - Dec 17, 2011
- Only 2 NRI applications for voting so far: poll panel - Aug 23, 2011
- State funding of elections is no good, says Quraishi - Aug 30, 2011
- Remo to play pied piper to young Goan voters - Feb 03, 2012
- Paid news punishment should be two years jail: former CEC - Aug 24, 2012
- Will cancel polls again on evidence of horse-trading: Quraishi - Apr 05, 2012
- Tamil Nadu polls: Monitoring cash flow is a great concern, says CEC - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: assembly election, black money, chief election commissioner, constituencies, ec, election candidates, election commission of india, election commission of india eci, elections, goa, helplessness, panaji, political parties, poll dates, polls, quraishi, splurging, sums, taking stock, writ