Help us, Bhopal gas hit tell ChouhanAugust 13th, 2011 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Aug 13 (IANS) About 100 women who survived the Bhopal gas disaster Saturday urged Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan to help them get better financial compensation.
The women made the request when they called on him to tie rakhis on the occasion of Raksha Bandhan festival.
The women asked Chouhan to ensure that the correct figures of death and injury cases caused by the disaster were presented by the state government in a petition pending in the Supreme Court.
The women pointed out that over 90 percent of the survivors had wrongly been categorised as “temporarily injured” because of a faulty assessment system followed by the government.
The women said that projections based on epidemiological studies carried out by the Indian Council of Medical Research showed that at least 23,000 people have died due to exposure to toxic gas.
The chief minister’s intervention was needed to revise the figure of 5,295 officially stated deaths, they said.
Chouhan promised to do the needful.
Thousands were killed and over 500,000 have been affected from the leak of poisonous gas from Union Carbide’s now defunct pesticide factory here on the night of Dec 2-3, 1984.
- Update death toll in gas tragedy: Bhopal survivors - Oct 17, 2011
- Bhopal gas survivors to stop trains on 27th anniversary - Nov 25, 2011
- Bhopal survivors block rail tracks, call off stir (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivors sit-in to move to Delhi - Jan 20, 2012
- Bhopal gas tragedy survivors call shutdown Oct 11 - Oct 08, 2011
- Not enough done for Bhopal tragedy victims: Activist - Jan 12, 2012
- Bhopal tragedy survivors burn Chidambaram's effigy - Jan 14, 2012
- 26 years on, Bhopal gas survivors rally for justice - Dec 03, 2010
- Bhopal shuts down for gas tragedy affected - Oct 11, 2011
- Bhopal survivors beaten back from rail blockade - Dec 03, 2011
- IOA president asks IOC to remove Dow as Olympics sponsor - Dec 20, 2011
- Government toed Union Carbide's line on compensation: RTI - Oct 17, 2011
- Bhopal gas survivors hold candlelight vigil, vow to fight on - Jun 09, 2010
- Boycott Olympics if Dow stays, says Chouhan - Jan 29, 2012
- Bhopal gas probe panel invites information - Aug 18, 2011
Tags: 100 women, assessment system, bhopal gas disaster, chief minister, deaths, epidemiological studies, faulty assessment, financial compensation, medical research, pesticide factory, petition, poisonous gas, raksha bandhan, state government, supreme court, survivors, toxic gas, union carbide