Heavy rains at Rahul’s rallyJuly 9th, 2011 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Aligarh, July 9 (IANS) Heavy rains lashed this Uttar Pradesh city Saturday ahead of Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi’s farmers’ rally even as organisers tried to boost the morale of the crowd by calling it a “good omen”.
Amid hot and humid weather and overcast conditions, rains started in Aligarh at around 10.45 a.m. before the Congress leader could arrive at the venue, Nivas Ground.
As the rains started pouring, Congress supporters waiting for the Gandhi scion started panicking and running for shelter even though the Nivas Ground was covered with a waterproof marquee.
The organisers tried to enthuse crowds by shouting slogans like “aandhi aaye ya toofan, sabha karenge seena taan (come rain or storm, we will hold the rally)”. This indeed helped in bringing the people back to their seats, but heavy rains continued.
The organisers said it was a good omen - for Rahul Gandhi as well as farmers - to have rains ahead of the rally! Some people even stood in the rain and danced.
The rain water was leaking at many points, forcing many from the crowd seated on chairs to run helter-skelter.
It was not known if the Gandhi scion, who was supposed fly here in a helicopter, had arrived by 11 a.m.
- Sun or rain, teeming crowds await Rahul's speech - Jul 09, 2011
- Mayawati concedes Rahul's plea for farmers meeet in Aligarh - Jul 03, 2011
- Will Section 144 halt Rahul's march? - Jul 06, 2011
- Can Rahul march on in Mayawati land? (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Marching on: Rahul takes on Mayawati on land acquisition (Roundup) - Jul 06, 2011
- So near and yet so far from Rahul (Sidelights) - Jul 09, 2011
- Rallying for farmers, Rahul targets Mayawati (Intro Roundup) - Jul 09, 2011
- 60 killed in suicide attack on Shia rally in Quetta - Sep 03, 2010
- At farmers' rally, Rahul throws poll gauntlet at Mayawati (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2011
- House Full in Aligarh - thanks to Rahul - Jul 08, 2011
- Rahul's rally not eyeing elections: Digvijay - Jul 09, 2011
- Rahul Gandhi arrives in Jammu - Sep 27, 2011
- Mayawati government favours builders, says Rahul - Jul 08, 2011
- KKR fans face police batons outside Eden - May 29, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh farmers not compensated fairly for land: Rahul - Jul 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,