Hazare to meet political parties for strong LokayuktaApril 26th, 2012 - 12:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 26 (IANS) As a precursor to the proposed state tour for a strong Lokayukta bill, social activist Anna Hazare started his two-day consultations with all political parties to evolve a consensus on the issue, an official said here Thursday.
Arriving here from his village Ralegan-Siddhi, Hazare Wednesday night kick-started his tour by meeting Republican Party of India chief Ramdas Athawale here.
Hazare Thursday morning will meet Maharashtra Congress chief Manikrao Thakre, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar and Home Minister R.R. Patil.
He has also lined up meetings with Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray, one of Hazare’s staunchest critics, and hopes to rope in his party’s support for the Lokayukta legislation.
Hazare plans to meet state Bharatiya Janata Party chief Sudhir Mungantiwar, Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Council (BJP’s) Vinod Tawade, and Shiv Sena leaders.
Hazare will go on a state-wide tour from May 1 to create awareness and garner public support for a strong Lokayukta in the state.
Last month, he wrote to Chief Minister Chavan demanding that the Lokayukta should be vested with more powers.
The state-wide tour is aimed at educating the common people about the Lokayukta law and to urge them to be ready for an agitation if the government failed to bring about a strong Lokayukta, the letter said.
The draft of the Lokayukta bill should not be prepared by the government only and there should be participation of civil society also, Hazare said in the letter.
Starting from the temple town of Shirdi in Ahmednagar district, Hazare’s five-week tour will culminate June 6.
- 'Centre in favour of enacting model Lokayukta law' (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- New tax on domestic LPG in Maharashtra rolled back - Mar 30, 2012
- Hazare to go on Maharashtra tour for strong Lokayukta - Apr 17, 2012
- Congress legislators in Maharashtra complain about Chavan - Jul 24, 2012
- Hazare to start Maharashtra tour for Lokayukta bill - Apr 30, 2012
- Maharashtra Congress ties up with Dalit party - Jan 29, 2012
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- High voltage Maharashtra municipal poll campaign ends - Feb 14, 2012
- Opposition leaders to tour Maharashtra for show of might - May 24, 2011
- Opposition parties to meet governor for Chavan's sack - Oct 31, 2010
- Hazare targets PM over coal blocks auction issue - Jun 05, 2012
- Congress, NCP ally to dislodge saffron combine from BMC - Jan 11, 2012
- Not under any pressure, asserts Chavan - Jul 26, 2012
- Congress, NCP tie up for Maharashtra civic polls - Nov 23, 2011
- 'BJP not to sever ties with Shiv Sena over Pranab' - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: ajit pawar, anna hazare, common people, congress chief, deputy chief minister, home minister, leader of opposition, legislative council, lokayukta, party chief, ramdas, sena chief, shirdi, shiv sena, siddhi, social activist, temple town, thackeray, thursday morning, vinod