Hazare calm yet determined in his fightApril 6th, 2011 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 6 (IANS) The anger and energy were palpable the minute one crossed the police barricades to arrive at Jantar Mantar in central Delhi where social activist Anna Hazare is on an indefinite hunger strike for a more stringent anti-corruption law.
People with tricolours, posters and paintings against corruption could be seen walking around as slogans of “Inquilab Zindabad” and “Vande Mataram” filled the air.
Dressed in a white dhoti-kurta and a Gandhi cap, Hazare looked calm yet determined to win this battle against the government as his agitation entered second day Wednesday with the septuagenarian showing no signs of slowing down.
On the dais under a white shamiana for more than 30 hours, Hazare would take small gulps of water in between a few hours as doctors checked his blood pressure for the second time in the day.
“Doctors check him twice a day for any unusual development,” said one of the activists associated with the movement.
More than a hundred other supporters, who are also on an indefinite hunger strike, were seated to the right of Hazare while members of various NGOs sang bhajans and songs on his left.
Huge posters with anti-corruption slogans on them adorned the background as the young and old came together to express protest against corruption.
Not far from the leader on fast, the half a dozen corner stalls selling food items from masala dosas to kulfi-faludas did brisk business with several hundred protesters and media persons thronging these shops.
“My brother told me about the large gathering here. So, I’ve come here from Chandni Chowk because I knew the business would be good,” said Ram Prasad, a 34-year-old selling jaljeera on a handcart.
- Hazare's health stable on second day of fast - Jul 30, 2012
- Bring Lokpal or go, Anna tells UPA (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Bring Lokpal or go, Anna tells UPA (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Ralegan-Siddhi villagers back Hazare - Jul 29, 2012
- After the noise, a serene quiet - night under stars with Anna - Apr 08, 2011
- A night under the stars with Anna Hazare (Lead) - Apr 08, 2011
- Thousands march in Mumbai for Hazare - Aug 21, 2011
- Team Anna launches fast, targets Pranab, PM (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Listen to doctors, cops tell Team Anna (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- NSUI protests at Team Anna fast venue - Jul 25, 2012
- Listen to doctors, Delhi Police tells Team Anna - Aug 01, 2012
- Team Anna supporters protest outside BJP office - Aug 02, 2012
- Hundreds in Punjab, Haryana support Hazare - Apr 08, 2011
- Government blinks, Anna on fast track (Intro Roundup) - Aug 18, 2011
- Fasting Anna calls for 'revolution' as thousands rally (Third Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, bhajans, brisk business, central delhi, chowk, dais, dhoti kurta, dosas, food items, handcart, indefinite hunger strike, inquilab, mantar, media persons, police barricades, septuagenarian, shamiana, social activist, vande mataram, zindabad