Have deepest regard for PM: Team Anna (Lead)May 30th, 2012 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, May 30 (IANS) Faced with a frontal attack from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Team Anna said Wednesday it had the “deepest regard” for him but wanted to know where a first information report (FIR) could be registered against an allegedly corrupt minister.
“We have the deepest regard for the prime minister…but we want to know which agency can register an FIR against a minister,” Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal told reporters at his residence in this Delhi suburb.
Kejriwal also wondered “why the prime minister had overlooked the advice of the coal secretary to auction coal blocks”.
The remarks came a day after a combative Manmohan Singh said he would quit public life if any allegation of corruption against him was proved.
Also on Tuesday, Team Anna member N. Santosh Hegde distanced himself from the group’s demand for an inquiry against the prime minister and 14 allegedly corrupt ministers.
Manmohan Singh’s reaction came after Team Anna member Prashant Bhushan had attacked him personally Monday.
A statement posted on the India Against Corruption said: “We also feel that that the prime minister is honest and he would not have taken benefits for himself straight. But according to the CAG (Comptroller & Auditor General), there was a scam. Then who benefitted from it? This should be investigated independently…We want to tell the prime minister that we are not indulging in politics; we are common citizens of this country, who are suffering from corruption and inflation.”
The statement went on to ask: “If a minister indulges in corruption, which is that agency which is independent of the government, where an FIR against this corruption can be registered?”
“If the minister, against whom there are allegations of corruption, says that he did not indulge in corruption or if the prime minister says that he did not indulge in corruption, then without an independent investigation, should the country accept the matter?”
Team Anna had last week charged the prime minister and 14 cabinet ministers of “massive” corruption and sought an independent probe into the charges. Team Anna also questioned the role of Manmohan Singh in the coal scam unearthed by the CAG. The prime minister held the coal portfolio from November 2006 to May 2009.
Meanwhile, Kejriwal said Anna Hazare and his associates will participate in yoga guru Baba Ramdev fast here June 3 to mark the first anniversary of his forcible eviction from the Ramlila ground where he was protesting against corruption.
- Consider plea for CBI probe against Team Anna: Court (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Have deepest regard for PM: Team Anna - May 30, 2012
- Prime minister's image beyond doubt, says Congress (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Charges against PM not irresponsible: Shanti Bhushan - May 29, 2012
- Kejriwal walks out of Hazare-Ramdev fast venue - Jun 03, 2012
- Team Anna, opposition spew fire on 'coalgate'; CBI probes (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2012
- Prashant Bhushan defends comments on PM (Lead, Changing dateline) - May 30, 2012
- Team Anna charges Manmohan, Chidambaram, Pranab of corruption (Second Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Team Anna attacks Manmohan, Chidambaram and Pranab (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Will quit if Team Anna allegations are proved: Manmohan (Second Lead) - May 30, 2012
- PMO rejects Team Anna's 'loose' allegations against Manmohan - Jun 09, 2012
- Kejriwal calls for protests against Congress, BJP - Aug 25, 2012
- PMO rejects allegations against Manmohan, Team Anna cries foul (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: allegation, allegations, arvind kejriwal, auditor general, bhushan, cag, coal, comptroller, corruption, fir, frontal attack, independent investigation, inflation, information report, manmohan, manmohan singh, prashant, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, santosh