Has Antony replaced Pranab as number two in cabinet?July 13th, 2012 - 12:08 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 12 (IANS) Has Defence Minister A.K. Antony been informally accorded the number two position in the cabinet to replace Pranab Mukherjee who is contesting the presidential election? An indication about Antony’s elevation came Thursday as he was seated next to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the cabinet meeting.
Official sources said Antony was on the seat earlier occupied by Mukherjee, who was the de facto number two in the union council of ministers.
“Antony was seated next to the prime minister,” a senior offiical told IANS.
The official, however, added that there had been no formal announcement of number two position
There was speculation last week that Agriculture Minister and Nationalist Congress Party leader Sharad Pawar had been given the number two position as his name was appeared after that of the Manmohan Singh on the official website of the Prime Minister’s Office.
PMO sources, however, had downplayed the display. Curiously, the PMO website, at present, does not have list of cabinet ministers.
Mukherjee was also the leader of house in the Lok Sabha and Congress president Sonia Gandhi has to decide to on a suitable replacement.
He had resigned as the finance minister June 26 to contest the presidential poll.
There is also speculation about a cabinet reshuffle in the coming few weeks.
- NCP skips cabinet meeting over 'problems' (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Unhappy Pawar, Patel offer to quit (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Pawar meets Sonia to discuss 'coalition issues' - Jul 20, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Roundup) - Jul 25, 2012
- Congress, NCP stand-off ends with decision on better coordination (Intro-Roundup) - Jul 26, 2012
- Vice president poll: UPA renominates Ansari, BJP bracing for contest (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2012
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle likely next week (Second Lead) - Jul 09, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday, Big 4 to continue (Second Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Maran's resignation clears way for cabinet reshuffle - Jul 07, 2011
- Pawar, Patel skip cabinet meeting - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul should join government: Krishna - Jun 27, 2012
- Sonia meets PM over cabinet reshuffle (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- PM meets Sonia, cabinet reshuffle buzz grows louder (Lead) - Jan 18, 2011
- Cabinet reshuffle likely Tuesday - Jul 11, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,