Haryana to have panchayat elections in 8 districtsJune 15th, 2010 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 15 (IANS) Eight districts of Haryana will go for panchayat (village council) elections in two phases July 6 and 10, officials said Tuesday.
Panchkula, Gurgaon, Rohtak and Panipat districts will go to polls in the first phase July 6, and Karnal, Rewari, Yamuna Nagar and Hisar in the second phase July 10.
“Elections will be held in two phases to elect 2,112 sarpanches (headmen) of village panchayats, 20,169 panches (council members), 980 members of panchayat samitis (council committees) and 130 members of zila parishads (district-level bodies),” Haryana election commissioner Dharam Vir said here.
The elections will see 3,504,276 voters exercising their franchise. This would be the fourth general election of Panchayati Raj Institutions (PRI) in the state.
Around 8,000 electronic voting machines (EVMs) would be used for the elections.
According to election officials, the nominations would be filed from June 22 to 24 and scrutiny of nomination papers would be done June 25.
Earlier, panchayat elections in 13 other districts; Ambala, Bhiwani, Fatehabad, Faridabad, Jind, Jhajjar, Kaithal, Kurukshetra, Mahendergarh (at Narnaul), Sirsa, Sonepat, Mewat (at Nuh) and Palwal were held June 6 and 12.
- Haryana panchayat polls June 6, 12 - May 16, 2010
- 70 percent vote in Haryana panchayat polls, three killed - Jun 07, 2010
- 40 percent Haryana panchayat candidates elected unopposed - Jun 05, 2010
- Second phase of Haryana panchayat polls Saturday - Jun 11, 2010
- Re-poll in 33 polling stations in Haryana - Jun 13, 2010
- Haryana declares June 6, 12 holidays for panchayat polls - May 28, 2010
- Haryana declares holiday for panchayat elections - Jun 24, 2010
- Over 16,000 women in Haryana to get a fighting chance - May 17, 2010
- 80 percent voting in Haryana panchayat polls - Jun 12, 2010
- Over 4,000 candidates in fray for Haryana civic polls - May 11, 2010
- 5,464 in fray for Haryana civic polls - May 09, 2010
- Haryana sets up police stations to check power, water theft - Feb 05, 2011
- Haryana municipal polls on May 20 - Apr 26, 2010
- 75 percent turnout in Haryana panchayat poll - Jul 06, 2010
- Haryana village keeps tradition alive, elects panchayat unopposed - Jun 29, 2010
Tags: council committees, council elections, election commissioner, electronic voting machines, gurgaon, headmen, hisar, jhajjar, karnal, mewat, nomination papers, nuh, palwal, panchayat elections, panchayati raj institutions, panchkula, panipat, rohtak, village panchayats, yamuna nagar