Haryana Olympics players to get over Rs.6.5 croreAugust 16th, 2012 - 8:41 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 16 (IANS) While four out of the six Indian medal winners at the recent London Olympics, with a Haryana connection, will get Rs.4.5 crore for their achievements, others who could not get any medal also need not lose hope, officials here said Thursday.
“Four out of the six medal winners are from Haryana or associated with the state,” an official said.
The Haryana government announced that it will hold a state-level function at Bhainswal Kalan village in Sonipat district Aug 26 to honour all players from the state or having any connection with it with cash rewards.
Bhainswal Kalan is the native village of London Olympic bronze medallist and wrestler Yogeshwar Dutt.
While Dutt will get Rs.one crore from the Haryana government for his feat, three other Indian medallists, who have some Haryana connection, are also being rewarded by the state government.
Delhi-based wrestler Sushil Kumar, who won a silver medal, will be given Rs.1.5 crore. Hyderabad-based players Saina Nehwal (badminton) and Gagan Narang (shooting) will also get Rs.one crore each for their bronze medals.
Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda will honour the medal winners and participants of London Olympics at a function to be organised at Chaudhary Matu Ram sports complex at Bhainswal Kalan village.
The coaches of medal winners will also be honoured, a state government spokesman said here.
Discus thrower Krishna Punia, who made it to the finals of her event in London, will get Rs.31 lakh for the achievement even though she failed to get a medal. Punia, who hails from Haryana, is now married and settled in Rajasthan.
Wrestler Geeta Phogat, who became the first Indian woman wrestler to qualify for the Olympics, will get a reward of Rs.21 lakh. Boxer Vijender Singh and wrestler Amit Kumar, who made it to the quarterfinals of their respective events, will also get Rs.21 lakh each, the official added.
Hooda said 10 other Olympic participants from Haryana will get Rs.11 lakh each. They are Jai Bhagwan, Manoj Kumar, Sanjeev Rajput, Sardara Singh, Vikas Krishan, Seema Antil, Sumit Sangwan, Om Parkash, Anuraj Singh and Sandeep Singh.
- Olympic winners get rewards, cars - Aug 26, 2012
- Haryana Police to give Rs. 51 lakh to Yogeshwar Dutt - Aug 23, 2012
- Haryana doubles cash rewards for Rio - Aug 26, 2012
- Olympians with Haryana connection earn millions - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.1 crore for Gagan Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- After dream medal, marriage on cards for Yogeshwar (Lead, Combining London/Chandigarh stories) - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana's Olympians to get Rs.11 lakh reward - Jun 01, 2012
- PM honours Mary Kom, Yogeshwar Dutt - Sep 08, 2012
- After medallists, Haryana to reward CWG participants as well - Oct 21, 2010
- Celebrations at Yogeshwar's home over medal - Aug 12, 2012
- Haryana announces Rs.2 crore for gold in London Olympics - Nov 01, 2010
- Haryana CWG medal winners to get cars too! - Oct 16, 2010
- Haryana announces Rs.1.5 crore reward, land for Sushil - Aug 12, 2012
- Villages of Haryana players get Rs.220 mn grant - Mar 18, 2011
- Cash, cars, mobile phones, ghee - Haryana CWG winners take it all! - Oct 30, 2010
Tags: amit kumar, bronze medals, cash rewards, crore, discus thrower, geeta, government spokesman, haryana government, hooda, lakh, london olympics, medal winners, olympic bronze medallist, olympic participants, qualify for the olympics, ram sports, rs 21, rs 6, sonipat, sushil kumar