Haryana civic polls ThursdayMay 19th, 2010 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 19 (IANS) Elections to the municipal corporation of Faridabad, 10 municipal councils and 28 municipal committees across Haryana will be held Thursday.
“All preparations for the elections in 35 wards of Municipal Corporation of Faridabad, 266 wards of 10 municipal councils and 436 wards of 28 municipal committees have been made. Polling will start at 7.30 a.m. and would continue till 4.00 p.m.,” a state election commission spokesman said here Wednesday.
The state government has declared a public holiday in all towns and cities where civic polls are to be held. Sale of liquor too has been banned Wednesday and Thursday in view of the elections.
He added that at most places, the counting of votes will begin immediately after the voting ends and results will be declared the same day.
As many as 4,134 candidates are in the fray for the municipal general elections. Out of these, 493 candidates are contesting the elections to the Municipal Corporation of Faridabad, near Delhi.
The 10 municipal councils are Palwal, Fatehabad, Tohana, Hansi, Jind, Narwana, Thanesar, Narnaul, Sirsa and Sonepat. The 28 municipal committees are Naraingarh, Charkhi Dadri, Ratia, Sohna, Barwala, Jhajjar, Safidon, Cheeka, Gharaunda, Taraori, Assandh, Nissing, Shahabad, Ladwa, Pehowa, Mahendergarh, Nuh, Ferozepur Zhirka, Hodel, Punhana, Samalkha, Bawal, Meham, Kalanwali, Ellenabad, Rania, Gohana and Ganaur.
The ruling Congress has already announced that it will not field any candidates on the party’s official symbol.
The contest will be mainly between candidates supported by the Congress, the Indian National Lok Dal (INLD) and the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). A lot is at stake for all parties as this is the first major election in the state after the assembly polls October last year.
- Over 4,000 candidates in fray for Haryana civic polls - May 11, 2010
- Haryana municipal polls on May 20 - Apr 26, 2010
- 5,464 in fray for Haryana civic polls - May 09, 2010
- Haryana declares May 20 holiday for civic polls - May 10, 2010
- Half of MCD wards go to women, male politicians jittery - Jan 28, 2012
- Voting for Haryana Municipal elections begin - May 20, 2010
- Delhi Police geared up for Sunday's civic polls (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Congress not to use party symbol for Haryana civic polls - Apr 28, 2010
- Voting begins for MCD elections - Apr 15, 2012
- Over 70 percent voting in Haryana civic polls - May 21, 2010
- Voting begins for Chandigarh's municipal elections - Dec 17, 2011
- Delhi votes BJP back to power in civic polls (Roundup) - Apr 17, 2012
- Delhi civic polls: Congress fields 112 young candidates - Apr 03, 2012
- Delhi votes for three new civic bodies Sunday - Apr 14, 2012
- No majority in Chandigarh civic poll (Lead) - Dec 19, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,