Harry Reid wants to ban brothels in NevadaFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 7:21 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Nevada, Feb 23 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Lawmakers in Nevada would be considering whether to ban brothels in the state.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has indicated that he would want the brothels to be banned from the state. Currently the brothels are only allowed in rural counties. Reid defended his proposal during a speech to the State Assembly.
During the address Reid said that the state should be known for other things other than where prostitution has been legalized. He was emphatic when he said that, “the time has come for us to outlaw prostitution.”
That particular statement failed to draw any applause from the audience at the assembly. As if he was expecting to be applauded, Reid paused and looked awkwardly at the gathering before continuing.
Many lawmakers were not impressed that Reid chose to discuss prostitution at the time when the state was struggling to balance a budget deficit of $2.2 billion. They believe that other things are more important currently than discussing prostitution.
Republican Lt. Gov. Brian Krolicki who is also the chairman of the Nevada Economic Development Commission said that, “This country is facing an extraordinary array of historic issues. I had hoped to hear more on those critical topics of the day.”
For those comments, many Democrats and Republicans in the state agreed.
- Republicans cave in, hand Obama big victory - Dec 23, 2011
- Both Nevada Senate and Assembly in USA to open with Hindu prayers - Jan 29, 2011
- Nevada Senate in USA opens with Gayatri Mantra - Feb 16, 2011
- Obama to address joint session of the Congress - Sep 01, 2011
- Senate passes Tax Cut Bill - Dec 24, 2011
- US officers trying to find Madam Anna Gristina's accomplices - Mar 08, 2012
- FAA shutdown to continue as Congress leaves - Aug 04, 2011
- Abandoned US brothel to become museum - Aug 09, 2012
- New Zealand to have its first male brothel for female clients - Aug 03, 2010
- Harry Reid Saves Democrats' Face - Nov 03, 2010
- Jason Alexander responds to Mitt Romney's Seinfeld comment - Feb 25, 2012
- Illegal prostitution booming in Queensland - Jan 30, 2011
- Son Of US Senator, Harry Reid, Avoids Using Surname During Campaigns - Jun 28, 2010
- Prostitutes give a thumbs-down to French brothel opening proposal - May 13, 2010
- British teacher who pimped his wife faces ban - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: applause, array, brian krolicki, brothels in nevada, budget deficit, democrats and republicans, economic development commission, harry reid, lt gov, nevada economic development, news lawmakers, outlaw, proposal, prostitution, republican, senate majority leader, senate majority leader harry, senate majority leader harry reid, state assembly, state senate