Happy Rahul has agreed to proactive role: DigvijayJuly 19th, 2012 - 6:52 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 19 (IANS) Congress leader Digvijay Singh, who has consistently proposed that Rahul Gandhi take on a more stellar role in the party and government, said Thursday he was happy that the party general secretary had agreed to play “a more proactive role in the party and government”.
Addressing a news conference in the city hours after Gandhi told a news channel that he had agreed to do so, Singh said: “I am happy to note that he has agreed to play a more proactive role in the party and government.”
Singh said Gandhi had “respected the sentiment of Congress workers all over the country” with his decision.
Singh, who has been a vociferous proponent of Rahul Gandhi taking up the top job, said he was only expressing “the views of the mass of Congress workers of the country”.
Singh also said that Gandhi’s role would be decided by the party president Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi’s mother.
Asked if Gandhi would replace Manmohan Singh as prime minister, Digvijay Singh said he could not comment on that.
Meanwhile, in New Delhi, the Congress has said that Gandhi is to play number two position in the party.
Party media department chairman Janardan Dwivedi said: “In future, his role would be after Congress president. That is clear.”
Earlier, Rahul Gandhi told NDTV:.”The decision (of his involvement) has been taken, the timing is up to the leadership.”
To a question on central schemes in Uttar Pradesh, Singh also said that it was up to the Akhilesh Yadav government to ensure that the state gets the full benefit of central schemes like the National Rural Health Mission and there is no corruption.
- Rahul ready for bigger role, to be No 2 in party (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul says he's ready for 'more proactive role' (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul gets 'proactive', will be Congress no. 2 (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul ready for 'pro-active' role, to be No 2 in party (Evening Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- Rahul could play a role both in party and government, says Congress - Jul 21, 2012
- Clamour grows for larger role in Congress for Rahul (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Rahul poised for a bigger role, says Congress - Nov 09, 2011
- Rahul's remark triggers speculation about ministerial role - Jul 20, 2012
- Rahul will play more pro-active role in Congress: Digvijay - Jul 15, 2012
- Will play more proactive role in party, government: Rahul - Jul 19, 2012
- Sonia says only Rahul to decide on his larger role (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Congress leaders tell Mukherjee he will be missed (Third Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Hope Rahul takes greater role in government: PM (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul Gandhi to UPA government: Manmohan Singh (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- I'll welcome Rahul's entry into government, says PM (Third Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: akhilesh yadav, congress leader, congress president, congress workers, department chairman, digvijay singh, general secretary, lucknow, manmohan, manmohan singh, national rural health, national rural health mission, ndtv, party president, proponent, rahul gandhi, sonia gandhi, stellar role, top job, uttar pradesh