Hamas says will respond Saturday to truce proposalFebruary 6th, 2009 - 2:56 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, Feb 6 (DPA) An official in the Islamist movement Hamas said Thursday that the movement would give its final answer on Saturday to a possible Egyptian-brokered truce with Israel, but said that Israeli proposals for an agreement were vague.Hamas Gaza spokesman in Gaza Fawzi Barhoum said that “a deal on a truce was not reached” because Israel had linked ending its blockade on the Gaza Strip and opening the border crossings - a key Hamas demand - with the release of Gilad Shalit, an Israeli soldier held captive in the Strip for over two-and-a-half years.
Barhoum said Israel was offering only a partial opening of the Gaza crossings, an offer which was ” totally rejected”. Other issues needed clarifications, he said.
“Egypt would need time to prepare the Israeli answers to Hamas’ questions, then Hamas would take the Israeli answers for consultations with its leadership inside and outside the Palestinian territories,” he said.
The talks between Egypt and Hamas would resume on Saturday, he added.
The Hamas delegation, which included three officials from Gaza and two from Damascus, where the leadership-in-exile sits, has held intensive talks with senior Egyptian security officials over the past four days in an effort to finalize a long-term truce with Israel, to replace the ceasefires declared Jan 18 ending a three-week-long Israeli offensive in the salient.
Earlier reports had indicated that Hamas and other Palestinian factions were slated to declare a one-year ceasefire with Israel Thursday.
- Egypt confirms Israeli-Palestinian prisoners swap deal - Oct 12, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Israeli-Palestinian prisoner swap deal to start Tuesday - Oct 15, 2011
- Hamas says it accepts one-year truce with Israel - Feb 02, 2009
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Israel to harden conditions of imprisoned Palestinians - Jun 24, 2011
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Israeli defence minister, Mubarak meet in Egypt - Jan 27, 2010
- Demands in exchange for Shalit will grow: Hamas - Jun 28, 2010
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Israel inner cabinet meets to discuss prisoner swap deal - Dec 21, 2009
Tags: blockade, border crossings, ceasefire, clarifications, damascus, fawzi, final answer, gaza strip, gilad shalit, hamas, intensive talks, islamist movement, israeli proposals, israeli soldier, movement hamas, palestinian factions, palestinian territories, security officials, truce, two and a half years