Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation dealOctober 13th, 2011 - 12:33 am ICT by IANS
Ramallah, Oct 12 (IANS) A senior Palestinian official announced that leaders of the Islamic Hamas movement and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah party will meet in Cairo Wednesday to finalize the inter-Palestinian reconciliation deal.
Azzam al-Ahmed, Fatah delegation chief to the dialogue with Hamas, told Xinhua that “the meeting in Cairo today had been suddenly decided and it was agreed to be held without any in-advance preparations for it.”
“The two sides were coincidently in Cairo and they agreed to meet later on Wednesday,” said al-Ahmad, adding: “The meeting will debate the implementation of the reconciliation agreement.”
Leaders of Hamas and Fatah signed in Cairo May 4 an Egyptian-brokered reconciliation agreement. However, the two sides failed so far to implement the deal due to deep, substantial differences.
Al-Ahmad said that the meeting will be attended by senior Egyptian officials. The last meeting between the two sides was held on Sep 12 in Lebanon. However, they still disagree on the implementation of the pact, Xinhua reported.
The major differences between the two sides are related to assigning the prime minister of the unity Palestinian government, which will be formed for one year and prepare for the general Palestinian elections.
The presidential elections had not been held since 2005, while the parliamentary elections hadn’t been held since 2006. Both sides are trading accusations that their rule is illegal.
Hamas is ruling the Gaza Strip since June 2007 and President Abbas and his Palestinian National Authority (PNA) are ruling the West Bank. Both had so far failed to unify both territories.
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Palestine rivals Fatah, Hamas agree to form interim unity government - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Abbas slams Hamas for delaying reconciliation pact - Oct 12, 2009
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation talks in 'final stages': Hamas - Jan 04, 2010
- Palestinian factions return to Cairo for talks - Mar 31, 2009
- Hamas accepts Egypt's proposed inter-Palestinian reconciliation - Oct 17, 2009
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian PM resigns for government reshuffle - Feb 14, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
Tags: advance preparations, al ahmad, al ahmed, egyptian officials, fatah party, gaza strip, hamas and fatah, hamas fatah, hamas movement, mahmoud abbas, palestinian elections, palestinian government, palestinian national authority, palestinian official, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, parliamentary elections, president mahmoud abbas, presidential elections, reconciliation agreement