Hamas calls on Gaza donors to recognise its legitimacyMarch 3rd, 2009 - 1:45 am ICT by IANS
Gaza, March 3 (DPA) The Islamic Hamas movement Monday called on the international community to recognise its legitimacy as the ruler of Gaza Strip.
Speaking as international donors began a conference to discuss the reconstruction of the salient of Israel’s recent offensive, Hamas spokesman Fawzi Barhoum urged the participants to “deal with the legitimacy (of Hamas) if they were interested in the Palestinian people’s interest”.
“Bypassing the Palestinian legitimacy that exists in Gaza is like walking to the wrong address … to hinder the reconstruction,” he said.
Some 87 countries, including the US, are participating in conference at Sharm al-Sheikh, Egypt, with pledging about $4.481 billion in aid to the Palestinian Authority (PA) to rebuild Gaza.
Hamas, which seized Gaza in 2007 after routing forces loyal to PA President Mahmoud Abbas, said the donors “must find a new and quick mechanism to send the aid directly to the Palestinian citizens without taking their political differences into consideration”.
“Our people’s blood cannot be bargained for reconstruction or politicised aid,” Barhoum stressed.
Israel, responding to Palestinian rocket fire form the salient, launched its 22-day offensive against militants in the Gaza Strip Dec 27.
Hundreds of Palestinians were killed in the Israeli air and ground attacks, and an estimated 1,400 homes and 65 public institutions were destroyed or damaged.
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Clinton pledges $900 mn in aid to Palestinians - Mar 02, 2009
- Palestinian Authority calls elections before September - Feb 13, 2011
- UN chief asks Israel to lift Gaza siege (Lead) - Mar 21, 2010
- Egyptian parliamentary delegation visits Gaza - Mar 29, 2012
- Mideast status quo benefits extremists: Sarkozy - Mar 02, 2009
- Two Palestinians hanged for collaborating with Israel - Jul 27, 2011
- Israel Navy intercepts Gaza-bound aid vessels - Nov 04, 2011
- Israeli planes attack Hamas sites in Gaza - Feb 26, 2011
- Seize Israeli soldiers to swap for Palestinian prisoners: Hamas - Oct 07, 2011
- Hamas says will respond Saturday to truce proposal - Feb 06, 2009
- Israeli air strike kills one Palestinian in Gaza - Jan 12, 2011
- Abbas slams Hamas for delaying reconciliation pact - Oct 12, 2009
- Gaza donor summit pledges billions, urges open crossings (Lead) - Mar 02, 2009
Tags: gaza strip, hamas, hamas movement, hamas spokesman, international donors, israeli air, legitimacy, mahmoud abbas, militants, palestinian authority, palestinian citizens, palestinians, political differences, president mahmoud abbas, public institutions, reconstruction, rocket fire, ruler, sharm al sheikh, wrong address