Hamas calls for emergency meeting of Palestinian factionsJanuary 4th, 2009 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Jan 4 (DPA) A spokesman for the militant Islamist Hamas movement Sunday called for an emergency meeting to present a united Palestinian front in the face of the Israeli ground offensive launched against the Gaza Strip Saturday evening.Mohammed Nazal, a spokesman for Hamas, which controls the Gaza Strip, said on Arabic satellite channel al-Arabiya that “all national powers” should come together to meet, to decide on a united course of action, in the face of the Israeli offensive.
Meanwhile, a representative of the Fatah movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, Sunday urged the Palestinians to rally round the president “to show the world that in these difficult hours we are standing together”.
Barakat al-Fara said in a press conference in Cairo that Israel was conducting a “criminal war”.
Egypt, Yemen and Saudi Arabia have, since the take-over of the Gaza Strip by Hamas in June 2007, attempted to forge reconciliation between the two factions. An Egyptian brokered ceasefire between Hamas and Israel ended Dec 19, prompting the current round of violence.
Israeli troops began a ground offensive in the Gaza Strip late Saturday, following more than a week of aerial bombardment.
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Dozens of Palestinians wounded in clashes with Israeli soldiers - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Palestinians not optimistic about peace with new Israeli government - May 09, 2012
- Hamas leader to attend NAM summit in Iran - Aug 25, 2012
- Palestinians rally in Gaza against Israeli eviction order - Apr 22, 2010
- Five Palestinians killed in Israeli airstrike - Oct 30, 2011
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Hamas hails decision to permanently open Rafah border crossing - May 27, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Hamas calls on Palestinians to abduct Israelis - Apr 18, 2012
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
Tags: aerial bombardment, al arabiya, al fara, fatah movement, mahmoud abbas, militant islamist, palestinian factions, palestinian president mahmoud, palestinian president mahmoud abbas, president mahmoud abbas