Hamas accuses Fatah of blocking dialogueMarch 15th, 2009 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
Gaza, March 15 (Xinhua) The Palestinian Islamic resistance movement, Hamas, Sunday accused its rival Fatah movement of blocking the progress of the unity talks the factions hold in Cairo.
Fawzi Barhoum, a spokesman for Hamas, said that Fatah still crack down against Hamas’s supporters in West Bank.
“Fatah is still deceiving and it doesn’t meet its obligations, it released 45 of our prisoners in West Bank but arrested 39 new people,” Barhoum said.
“The continuation of the arrests is an obstacle and Hamas will not sign any deal without completely and seriously ending the political arrests issue,” Barhoum added.
The Palestinian factions started dialogue in Cairo, aiming at reconciling Hamas and president Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah movement and forming a unity government to boost the reconciliation.
The dialogue also aims at overcoming the political schism, widened in 2007 after Hamas routed pro-Abbas forces and seized Gaza Strip.
Meanwhile, Barhoum said that Fatah bear conflicting stances over the formation of the unity government.
“Fatah demands that the upcoming government be without political tasks, at the same time, it stipulates that the government must abide by the Palestinian Liberation Organization’s (PLO) commitments,” he said.
Hamas translates respecting the PLO’s commitments as recognition of Israel.
- Palestinian rivals prepare for Cairo summit - Nov 13, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah to finalise unity government talks next week - Jun 15, 2011
- Palestinians to apply for UN status despite pressure: Abbas - Sep 08, 2012
- Palestine: Fatah, Hamas reach agreement on reconciliation - Apr 28, 2011
- Palestinian reconciliation unlikely in 2012: Hamas official - Mar 31, 2012
- Palestinian PM resigns for government reshuffle - Feb 14, 2011
- Hundreds of Palestinians celebrate unity deal - May 04, 2011
- Hamas, Fatah leaders to finalize reconciliation deal - Oct 13, 2011
- Early Palestinian elections to be proposed - Oct 02, 2011
- Palestine denies reports of reconciliation with Hamas - Jun 19, 2010
- Hamas, Fatah sign reconciliation deal - May 05, 2011
- Hamas PM reshuffles cabinet - Sep 03, 2012
- Palestinian factions return to Cairo for talks - Mar 31, 2009
- Palestinian talks still stalled on unity cabinet platform - Mar 19, 2009
- Abbas slams Hamas for delaying reconciliation pact - Oct 12, 2009
Tags: cairo, fatah, fatah movement, fawzi, gaza strip, hamas, islamic resistance movement, mahmoud abbas, movement hamas, palestinian factions, palestinian liberation organization, plo, plo commitments, political arrests, president mahmoud abbas, schism, unity government, unity talks, west bank, xinhua