Gurung to meet UPA, NDA leaders over Gorkhaland demandJanuary 6th, 2009 - 11:47 pm ICT by IANS
Siliguri (West Bengal), Jan 6 (IANS) A team of Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) activists, led by Morcha president Biman Gurung, is in the national capital for talks with the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) and the main opposition National Democratic Alliance (NDA) leaders over demand for a separate state of Gorkhaland.”A six-member team, led by Gurung, went to New Delhi Monday to have a political dialogue with the top UPA and NDA leadership over the Gorkhaland demand,” GJM general secretary Roshan Giri said at Salugara Tuesday.
According to GJM sources, Gurung will discuss the issue of Gorkhaland with External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Home Minister P. Chidambaram and senior BJP leader L.K Advani.
“We got appointments with the top UPA and NDA leadership in New Delhi,” GJM press and publicity secretary Binoy Tamang said.
The GJM has been spearheading a movement in the hills for a separate state and also opposing the ‘Sixth Schedule’ status for Darjeeling.
The central government in 2005 announced the Sixth Schedule status to the Gorkha National Liberation Front (GNLF)-led Darjeeling Gorkha Hill Council (DGHC), thereby ensuring greater autonomy to the governing body.
But Gurung’s breakaway group, which is opposed to the GNLF, is demanding full statehood.
- GJM has betrayed Gorkhaland movement, say hill parties - Jun 08, 2011
- Gorkhaland activists to hold relay hunger strike Feb 9 - Feb 08, 2010
- GNLF supremo Ghishing to challenge GTA in court - Jun 13, 2012
- GJM's Gorkhaland movement a failure: Ghising - Apr 10, 2011
- Gorkhaland activists call strike in Darjeeling hills from Jan 7 - Jan 05, 2009
- West Bengal report sought on Ghishing petition - Jun 19, 2012
- Will continue to push for Gorkhaland: GJM chief - Dec 12, 2009
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- Rally to celebrate Darjeeling accord - Jul 21, 2011
- Gorkha group threatens indefinite Darjeeling shutdown - Jun 18, 2010
- Ghising, Tamang's wife giving tough fight to GJM - Apr 15, 2011
- Darjeeling issue solved, says Mamata after talks with GJM (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- No statehood but talks on to solve Gorkhaland problem: home secretary - Dec 21, 2009
- Darjeeling set for historic treaty - amid controversy - Jul 17, 2011
- People angry over Ghisingh's sixth schedule demand: GJM - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: breakaway group, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, l k advani, national democratic alliance, national liberation front, p chidambaram, publicity secretary, sonia gandhi, west bengal