Gurgaon women to march for Geetika to Jantar MantarAugust 22nd, 2012 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Aug 22 (IANS) Various women’s organisations Thursday will hold a candlelight vigil at Delhi’s Jantar Mantar for Geetika Sharma, former flight attendant who committed suicide Aug 5.
Geetika in her suicide notes had alleged harassment by former Haryana minister Gopal Goyal Kanda and senior executive Aruna Chaddha of his now-defunct MDLR Airlines.
The women will march to seek fit punishment for the accused, a woman activist told IANS Wednesday.
“We want justice for Geetika Sharma. She was facing terrible harassment from Gopal Kanda, who has been making false statements ever since the case came to light. We want stiff punishment for Kanda,” said activist Sunita Kataria.
Kataria, municipal councillor and district head of Indian National Lok Dal, told IANS: “The candle march would be held by women’s organisations, not under any political party’s banner. Several NGOs will join the march at Jantar Mantar 11 a.m. Thursday.”
Kanda, who is in police custody for seven days for questioning, was Sunday taken to the office of the defunct MDLR Airlines, which he owned. He was also taken to his home at Civil Lines here by police officials. Police searched his farmhouse Monday.
Kanda was arrested Aug 18 after he surrendered at Delhi’s Ashok Vihar police station.
Kanda was on the run since Aug 8, after Geetika, 23, accused him and another official of MDLR Airlines, Aruna Chaddha, of harassing her and driving her to suicide.
Geetika committed suicide on the night of Aug 4-5 at her Ashok Vihar house.
Chaddha is in judicial custody.
Kanda was elected independent legislator from Haryana’s Sirsa district in Oct 2009 and given the important portfolio of minister of state for home, industries and local bodies.
- Police search Kanda's farmhouse for evidence - Aug 20, 2012
- Court again rejects cops' plea seeking Chaddha's custody - Aug 21, 2012
- Suicide notes written on day of Geetika's death: Police - Aug 24, 2012
- Chaddha's judicial custody extended till Sep 11 - Aug 30, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha to be questioned for another day - Aug 11, 2012
- Raids on Kanda's homes, offices continue - Aug 09, 2012
- Kanda's office, home searched - Aug 19, 2012
- Kanda will be arrested soon, says police (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Chaddha's police custody extended by three days - Aug 13, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Geetika was exploited: Women's panel - Aug 21, 2012
- Police to question Chaddha for three more days (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Geetika suicide: Chaddha sent to a day's judicial custody - Aug 20, 2012
- Kanda sent to 7 days police custody (Lead) - Aug 18, 2012
- Cops summon Kanda for questioning in Geetika suicide - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: ashok, candlelight vigil, false statements, farmhouse, flight attendant, geetika, haryana minister, jantar mantar, judicial custody, legislator, lok, mdlr airlines, minister of state, municipal councillor, police custody, police officials, police station, sirsa, suicide notes, sunita