Gujarat riots: Top cop questionedMarch 22nd, 2011 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, March 21 (IANS) The Supreme Court-appointed special investigation team (SIT) Monday recorded the statement of senior Gujarat police officer Sanjeev Bhatt in connection with the 2002 Gulbarg Society massacre in Ahmedabad in which 69 people were killed.
Bhatt, an Indian Police Service (IPS) officer who was posted in the state criminal investigation department (CID) during the 2002 communal riots that followed the Godhra train carnage, was questioned for over five hours by the SIT in their office here.
Bhatt, a 1988 batch IPS officer, said that his statement was recorded in connection with a first information report (FIR) registered in the Meghaninagar police station of Ahmedabad.
His questioning is likely to continue Tuesday.
The questioning of the senior police officer comes after the Supreme Court asked the SIT to consider whether further investigation was needed against the Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on a complaint filed by Zakia Jaffri, widow of former Congress MP Ehsan Jaffri who was among those killed in the massacre at Gulbarg Society.
- Gujarat riots: Probe Modi, says Supreme Court amicus curiae - May 07, 2012
- Gulbarg massacre: Supreme Court asks for counsel's assessment - May 05, 2011
- Gujarat riots probe team gives report to apex court - Apr 26, 2011
- Modi showed a sense of responsibility, says BJP - Mar 28, 2010
- Former BJP minister summoned by riot probe panel - Mar 13, 2010
- Nanavati-Mehta panel allows cross-examination of Sanjiv Bhatt - May 09, 2011
- 'SIT report has dealt with Ramachandran's contention' - May 07, 2012
- Top cop implicates Modi in Gujarat riots (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
- Apex court SIT submits report on Gulbarg Society massacre - May 14, 2010
- Modi within his rights not to appear before SIT: activists - Mar 22, 2010
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- How Zakia Jafri's complaint reached apex court - Sep 12, 2011
- Gujarat riots: Apex court gives free hand to probe team - Mar 15, 2011
- Modi did not take action despite information: Gujarat cop - May 16, 2011
- Modi appears before SIT - Mar 27, 2010
Tags: ahmedabad, carnage, chief minister, communal riots, congress, cop, criminal investigation department, criminal investigation department cid, ehsan, fir, gujarat police, indian police service, information report, investigation team, march 21, mp, narendra modi, police officer, police station, supreme court