Gujarat panchayat polls announcedSeptember 16th, 2010 - 10:55 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Sep 16 (IANS) Gujarat will be virtually in election mode for over a month in October in view of polls to nearly all the local self-government bodies in the state.
Elections to the district and taluka panchayats and municipalities will be held on Oct 21, the state election commission announced here Thursday.
Already, elections to six of the seven municipal corporations are slated to be held Oct 10.
Announcing the schedule, state election commission secretary Prakash Shah said the model election code of conduct had come into force with immediate effect.
Under the schedule announced Thursday, 24 of the 26 district panchayats, 208 of the 225 taluka panchayats and 53 municipalities would go to the polls Oct 21.
The notification for the elections would be issued Sep 27 and Oct 4 would be the last date of filling nominations. Counting of votes would be taken up Oct 23 and the entire process would be completed by Oct 29. Shah said the entire polling would be held through electronic voting machines.
Meanwhile, the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) went into full poll gear Thursday, beginning a three-day session of its state parliamentary board here to select the candidates for the elections to the municipal corporations.
According to state Congress president Siddhartha Patel, his party hoped to announce the final list of candidates for all the six municipal corporations by Sep 22. The BJP controls all the six municipal corporations of Ahmedabad, Surat, Vadodara, Rajkot, Jamnagar and Bhavnagar going to the polls.
- Six Gujarat municipal corporations go to polls Oct 10 - Sep 10, 2010
- BJP sweeps local bodies polls in Gujarat - Oct 23, 2010
- BJP wrests Congress bastion in Gujarat (Second Lead) - Sep 17, 2010
- Gujarat civic, panchayat polls to set tone for 2012 assembly clash - Oct 09, 2010
- BJP sweeps Gujarat local bodies elections (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Modi goes for kill in panchayat polls, Congress edgy - Oct 20, 2010
- BJP sweeps six key civic bodies in Gujarat (Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Congress bags Gandhinagar civic body - Apr 21, 2011
- EVM's reliability challenged in Gujarat court - Oct 15, 2010
- Lukewarm response to Gujarat civic polls - Oct 10, 2010
- Gujarat civic polls: BJP plea rejected - Sep 27, 2010
- BJP adds Ghaziabad mayor's seat to its kitty - Jul 08, 2012
- BJP sweeps six key civic bodies in Gujarat (Second Lead) - Oct 12, 2010
- Over 70 percent polling in Kerala civic elections (Lead) - Oct 25, 2010
- BJP sweeps corporation polls in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
Tags: bhavnagar, commission secretary, congress president, election code, election mode, electronic voting machines, gandhinagar, government bodies, gujarat, jamnagar, last date, municipal corporations, panchayat, panchayats, prakash shah, self government, siddhartha, state congress, state election commission, state elections