Gujarat minister yet to appear before probe teamDecember 28th, 2008 - 12:15 am ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Dec 27 (IANS) Gujarat minister Mayaben Kodnani Saturday continued to play truant and did not appear before the Special Investigation Team (SIT) appointed by the Supreme Court to look into major cases of communal violence in 2002.”She has not appeared before the SIT,” said Ashish Bhatia, joint commissioner of police (Ahmedabad), who is part of the probe team.
Bhatia said she had not given any reason so far for her failure to appear before the SIT.
“However, (former) VHP (Vishwa Hindu Parishad) leader Jaydeep Patel’s statement has been recorded,” Bhatia told IANS late Saturday.
Kodnani, minister of state for women, child development and higher education, was to depose before the SIT in Gandhinagar Friday.
Several victims have said Kodnani and Patel instructed mobs who attacked Muslims in Naroda village and Naroda Patiya localities on the outskirts of the city Feb 28, 2002. At least 97 people were killed in the two places.
Kodnani has denied the charges, saying she was not present at Naroda at that time.
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Naroda witnesses happy with court verdict (With Image) - Aug 29, 2012
- Government cannot be linked to 2002 massacre: Gujarat - Aug 29, 2012
- 32 convicted in Naroda Patiya massacre - Aug 29, 2012
- Another Gujarat police officer faces action - Aug 11, 2011
- Gujarat minister accused in Naroda Gam riots gets bail (Lead) - Feb 05, 2009
- BJP downplays ex-Gujarat minister's conviction - Aug 29, 2012
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister Kodnani, 31 convicted (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Minister's involvement only with Modi's consent: Congress on Naroda - Aug 29, 2012
- NGO files plea before Gujarat riots commission - May 14, 2010
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Bajrangi said he felt like Rana Pratap after Naroda killings - Aug 29, 2012
- Gujarat VHP leader missing after court rejects bail - Mar 27, 2009
- Gujarat judge refuses to hear plea against minister - Feb 19, 2009
- Kodnani, Patel sent to four-day police remand - Mar 28, 2009