Gujarat minister Kodnani surrendersMarch 27th, 2009 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, March 27 (IANS) Gujarat Minister for Higher Education Maya Kodnani Friday surrendered before the Special Investigation Team (SIT), which has named her as one of those who led mobs in the Naroda Gaam and Naroda Patiya localities in which 106 people were killed during the 2002 Gujarat riots.
Kodnani, who quit from her post Friday morning after the Gujarat High Court rejected her anticipatory bail, was joined by former Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) general secretary Jaideep Patel, who also surrendered before the SIT.
The two accused in the post-Godhra riots arrived together at the SIT office at the Old Secretariat in Gandhinagar together and surrendered to a senior official.
While Kodnani refused to comment, Patel told reporters: “I have faith in the judiciary regarding the decision taken by it. I respect the Gujarat High Court’s decision.”
In its plea to the Gujarat High Court, the Supreme court appointed SIT stated that Kodnani was evading arrest even after being named by witnesses who submitted that they saw the minister in the localities on that day.
Witnesses in the Kodnani case also told SIT that they were being harassed over the phone and told to drop charges against the minister.
The Godhra train burning led to widespread attacks on Muslims in the state, leading to 1,180 people, mostly Muslims, being killed.
- BJP lawmaker, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya killings - Aug 31, 2012
- Kodnani conviction shows rule of law in Gujarat: BJP - Sep 01, 2012
- BJP legislator, 31 others get life terms for Naroda Patiya carnage (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- BJP minister, charged with inciting riots, surrenders (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2009
- Naroda Patiya massacre: Ex-minister among 32 convicted (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Why shouldn't bail be cancelled, court asks Kodnani and Patel - Feb 24, 2009
- Naroda witnesses happy with court verdict (With Image) - Aug 29, 2012
- BJP mum on Maya Kodnani's sentence - Aug 31, 2012
- Gujarat VHP leader missing after court rejects bail - Mar 27, 2009
- Government cannot be linked to 2002 massacre: Gujarat - Aug 29, 2012
- Gujarat HC rejects Maya Kodnani's bail plea - Mar 27, 2009
- Ahmedabad court extends police remand of Mayaben Kodnani, Jaideep Patel till April 4 - Apr 01, 2009
- Gujarat riot victims hail life terms for accused - Aug 31, 2012
- Mayaben Kodnani's police custody ends today - Apr 01, 2009
- Riot tainted BJP minister quits after bail plea rejected (Third lead) - Mar 27, 2009
Tags: evading arrest, friday morning, gaam, gandhinagar, general secretary, godhra riots, godhra train, gujarat high court, gujarat minister, investigation team, jaideep, judiciary, localities, mobs, muslims, plea, secretariat, surrenders, vhp, vishwa hindu parishad