Grandson tries to recreate NTR’s charisma for TDPMarch 12th, 2009 - 10:03 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, March 12 (IANS) Junior NTR, a popular Telugu film actor and grandson of Telugu matinee idol and former Andhra Pradesh chief minister N.T. Rama Rao, revived memories of his grandfather as he launched the campaign of the main opposition Telugu Desam Party (TDP) in the state.
Junior NTR held road shows in Srikakulam district in north coastal Andhra, drawing huge crowds. The late NTR had launched the party 26 years ago.
Standing atop a specially designed campaign vehicle, Junior NTR began his ‘yatra’ from Itchapuram and appealed to the Telugu people to throw out the “corrupt” Congress government.
“I have not come here to ask for your votes but only to remind you the past,” he said while recalling that it was at Itchapuram that NTR had launched his ‘Chaitanya yatra’ in 1994 and travelled thousands of km across the state to seek the support of the people.
“The Telugu people are the symbol of political awareness,” said the Junior NTR, as he is called in the film circles for his resemblance to his illustrious grandfather.
Clad in a khaki dress, similar to the one that NTR had donned during his legendary road shows, the Junior NTR tried to recreate the magic of his grandfather through theatrical punch in his speeches.
NTR, who had attained the status of a demi-god, had created record of sorts by coming to power within nine months after launching the TDP in 1982.
“We the family members are not the heir to the legacy of NTR. We are only his family members. The real heirs are the party workers,” the actor said amid loud cheers by his fans and TDP workers.
He urged the people to support and strengthen the hands of Chandrababu Naidu as he was also following in the footsteps of NTR to serve the poor and the weaker sections.
The 25 year-old-actor will cover all three regions of the state during his 40-day non-stop tour.
His tour is expected to give a big boost to the TDP in the run-up to next month’s simultaneous polls to the Lok Sabha and the state assembly. Naidu is going all out to use the NTR legacy to come back to power.
NTR’s son and another popular actor, N. Balakrishna, who joined the TDP last year, is already on a campaign trail.
NTR’s another son, Harikrishna, who is the father of Junior NTR, and two other grandsons Kalyan Ram and Taraka Ratna have also been roped in by Naidu to campaign for the party.
The TDP hopes that the stars would counter the impact of superstar Chiranjeevi, whose Praja Rajyam party has emerged as the third major contender for power.
- Divided family pays tributes to NTR - Jan 18, 2012
- I'll remain with TDP till my last breath: Junior NTR - Jul 09, 2012
- Tributes paid to NTR on birth anniversary - May 28, 2011
- NTR's actor son ready to contest elections - Sep 11, 2011
- NTR's son to soon enter active politics - Jul 14, 2012
- Succession war between Naidu, NTR families hots up - May 28, 2011
- Chandrababu's son gearing up for major role in TDP - Sep 12, 2012
- NTR's son, grandson appear at TDP conclave - May 29, 2010
- NTR's son Balakrishna soon to join active politics - Jun 10, 2011
- No succession war in TDP, says NTR's son - Apr 20, 2011
- Naidu, Purandareswari pay tributes to NTR on death anniversary - Jan 18, 2011
- Suspended TDP lawmaker hits back at Naidu - Jul 11, 2012
- Junior NTR ties the knot with Naidu's relative - May 06, 2011
- Tributes paid to N.T. Rama Rao on death anniversary - Jan 18, 2010
- Junior NTR to marry Chandrababu Naidu's relative - Jan 29, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh chief, charisma, chief minister, congress government, demi god, film actor, film circles, heirs, hyderabad, junior ntr, loud cheers, matinee idol, naidu, political awareness, resemblance, simultaneous polls, tdp, telugu film, travelled thousands, yatra