Graft cases against Hasina, Zia being reviewedMay 11th, 2009 - 2:21 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, May 11 (IANS) While Bangladesh’s courts hear the government recommendation that 11 cases against Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina be dropped, a senior law officer Monday began scrutiny of documents relating to 20 graft cases against opposition leader Khaleda Zia and her family.
The cases were instituted by the military-backed caretaker government that ruled the country 2007-08. Both the women leaders were in jail for several months.
Hasina, who is Awami League chief, and Khaleda, who heads the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), have said the charges were “politically motivated” and meant to deny them freedom as well as keep them away from their political associates.
The government’s law officer, recommending that cases against Hasina be dropped, has said that they were filed to “tarnish the image of the Awami League chief (Hasina) and her previous government”.
Hasina was the prime minister during 1996-2001. Zia ruled twice during 1991-96 and 2001-06.
Recommendations by the Metropolitan Public Prosecutor will be sent regarding Zia’s cases to the home ministry for scrutiny before being sent to the court, the Daily Star said Monday.
On April 30, Khaleda Zia and her two sons, Tarique Rahman and Arafat Rahman Koko, filed petitions with the Dhaka district magistrate for withdrawal of 20 cases filed against them.
Since the government’s announcement to review “politically filed” cases, around 1,300 petitions have been filed with district magistrates seeking their withdrawal.
- Bangladesh asks Zia's son to surrender - Aug 20, 2010
- Khaleda Zia's son, 29 others indicted in 2004 bombing - Mar 18, 2012
- Move to withdraw case against Zia's son - Dec 22, 2009
- Court extends former Bangladesh PM son's parole - Aug 27, 2010
- Deals with India top Bangladesh opposition's protest agenda - Sep 09, 2010
- Dhaka presses graft charges against Khaleda Zia's son - Jul 07, 2010
- Trial of Khaleda Zia's younger son begins in absentia - Jan 05, 2011
- Bangladesh opposition protests move to bring back Zia's son - Aug 22, 2010
- Zia warns government against deal with India - Jan 01, 2010
- Corruption evidence against Zia, says anti-graft body - Nov 23, 2010
- Khaleda Zia put under house arrest, says Bangladesh opposition (Second Lead) - Nov 13, 2010
- Zia's son may return to party fold - Dec 08, 2009
- Hasina's son arrives from US, Zia's sons face arrest - Mar 01, 2010
- Khaleda Zia slapped with case over undisclosed money - Aug 08, 2011
- Hasina decries opposition's strike call - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: arafat, awami league, bangladesh nationalist party, bangladesh nationalist party bnp, caretaker government, daily star, dhaka district, district magistrate, district magistrates, hasina, home ministry, khaleda zia, koko, opposition leader, petitions, prime minister, public prosecutor, scrutiny, sheikh, women leaders