‘Govinda’s explanation on doling out cash during Holi unsatisfactory’March 16th, 2009 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 16 (IANS) Bollywood actor-turned politician Govinda’s explanation on doling out cash during Holi celebrations is “unsatisfactory”, an official said here Monday.
“He has submitted that it has been an old tradition in his family to give money to people during Diwali and Holi festivals. But the question here is to whom he has given the money and whether it violates the model code of conduct currently in force,” Vishwas Patil, the Mumbai Suburban district collector, told IANS.
Govinda - the Congress MP from Mumbai North-West constituency - submitted his explanation Monday.
Patil said that now his department will ascertain to whom the money was distributed and then submit its report to the Maharashtra chief electoral officer.
Patil pointed out that if the charges are proved and a person is found guilty, then he could be fined or imprisoned for one year or both.
Last Wednesday, Govinda was captured live on television handing over currency notes to some people from a large crowd gathered outside his home in Mumbai.
The state chief electoral officer had suo moto ordered the collectorate to conduct an enquiry into the incident and submit its report.
Speaking to a TV channel here Sunday, Govinda regretted that all his actions were politicised by some people and reiterated that it was an old tradition in his family to give money to poor people on festive occasions.
“When poor people gather outside my home, we try to satisfy their hopes, I don’t think about what will be right or wrong,” he said.
- Govinda meets district collector over cash dole on Holi - Mar 20, 2009
- Govinda faces probe for cash dole on Holi - Mar 12, 2009
- Govinda clarifies his position on poll code violation - Mar 21, 2009
- Govinda accused of violating Model Code of Conduct - Mar 13, 2009
- One killed, 40 hurt in Dahi-Handi revelry in Maharashtra - Aug 10, 2012
- President, vice president greet nation on Holi - Mar 18, 2011
- President, Vice President greet nation ahead of Holi - Mar 18, 2011
- United colours of Holi splash India (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- Poll panel should probe Trinamool's black money: CPI-M minister - Apr 26, 2011
- Lokpal weak spots can be overcome through debate: activist - Dec 26, 2011
- Colourful but subdued Holi celebrations in Mumbai - Mar 20, 2011
- 'Holi' fever grips devotees across India - Mar 20, 2011
- Welcome debate on WikiLeaks revelation: Bansal - Mar 18, 2011
- Lalu, Nitish Kumar to miss Holi celebrations - Mar 19, 2011
- Drum beats wake up Mumbai, Govindas seek pot of luck - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: actor turned politician, chief electoral officer, code of conduct, constituency, currency notes, diwali, enquiry, festivals, festive occasions, govinda, holi, holi celebrations, large crowd, model code, moto, mp, mumbai, suburban district, tv channel, vishwas