Govinda faces probe for cash dole on HoliMarch 12th, 2009 - 11:53 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, March 12 (IANS) Film star-tuned-MP Govinda faces inquiry from the Maharashtra state Election Commission after he allegedly doled out cash to some supporters during Holi celebrations, an official said here Thursday.
Mumbai Suburban District Collector Vishwas Patil said his office would conduct an inquiry into the matter following directives from the State Election Commission.
“It will take us at least two or three days and by early next week, we shall submit a report. We’ll find out whether the alleged incident constitutes a violation of the code of conduct in force (ahead of the Lok Sabha elections),” Patil told IANS.
On the occasion of Holi festival Wednesday, hordes of supporters had thronged Govinda’s Juhu residence as he cheerfully greeted and waved out at them.
Later, an aide brought out some cash which he allegedly distributed among the supporters, including some eunuchs, waiting on the road outside.
Some television channels showed footage of the incident, which was brought to the notice of the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of Maharashtra.
State Congress general secretary Sanjay Nirupam said it is a tradition among north Indians to give cash gifts during Holi.
Govinda, a popular actor, represents the Mumbai North constituency as a Congress member.
- Govinda accused of violating Model Code of Conduct - Mar 13, 2009
- Govinda meets district collector over cash dole on Holi - Mar 20, 2009
- Govinda clarifies his position on poll code violation - Mar 21, 2009
- Mumbai Congress MP Nirupam stirs hornet's nest - Oct 24, 2011
- One killed, 40 hurt in Dahi-Handi revelry in Maharashtra - Aug 10, 2012
- 'Govinda's explanation on doling out cash during Holi unsatisfactory' - Mar 16, 2009
- Raj Thackeray warns of riots over anti-Marathi remarks - Nov 03, 2011
- Mumbai MP asserts Karkare killed by Pakistani terrorists - Dec 12, 2010
- Raj Thackeray promises post-Diwali 'fireworks' for Nirupam - Oct 29, 2011
- Marathi vs migrants - cops told to study leaders' speeches - Nov 04, 2011
- Congress MP dares Uddhav, Raj to give up security - Oct 27, 2011
- Bal Thackeray roots for Mumbai again - May 07, 2012
- More than 70 injured in Mumbai's Dahi Handi celebrations - Aug 22, 2011
- Congress MPs Priya Dutt, Nirupam meet Hazare supporters, vow support - Aug 22, 2011
- Delhi votes for three new civic bodies Sunday - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: cash gifts, chief electoral officer, congress member, constituency, dole, eunuchs, general secretary, holi, holi celebrations, holi festival, hordes, juhu, lok sabha elections, maharashtra state, sanjay nirupam, state congress, state election commission, suburban district, television channels, vishwas