Government steps up efforts for consensus on LokpalMay 11th, 2012 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 11 (IANS) Government is trying to build a consensus on the Lokpal Bill and will discuss the issue with some key political parties during the weekend, a senior minister said Friday.
Janata Dal-United (JD-U), Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), Samajwadi Party (SP) and Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) are among the parties with whom government representatives will hold meetings over the weekend, the minister said, as the government is contemplating bringing the bill in the Rajya Sabha in this session itself.
The budget session comes to an end May 22.
Even as a special sitting is scheduled Sunday to mark 60 years of the Lok Sabha, the evening will be used for the meetings, the minister told IANS.
Senior ministers have already met Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley and Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Sitaram Yechury Thursday.
Sources say the clause on formulation of lokayuktas has been dropped from the bill. Ally Trinamool Congress, which was earlier against the bill, has indicated its support after this development.
However, some senior parliamentarians have doubts if the government will be able to pass the bill in present session in view of the limited time in hand.
“First they will build consensus, then the bill will have to be passed in Rajya Sabha, after that it will go back to Lok Sabha… let’s see if it can be done in this session,” a senior member said.
The Lokpal Bill was passed by the Lok Sabha during the extended winter session last year. However, a constitutional amendment bill accompanying this bill was defeated. In the Rajya Sabha, the bill was taken up on the last day of the session, but could not be passed.
- Government begins efforts to reach consensus on Lokpal bill - May 10, 2012
- PM's all-party meet fails to break Lokpal jam (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Taking Lokayukta out of Lokpal bill: Cabinet to decide - Apr 04, 2012
- Trinamool, RJD helped UPA sabotage Lokpal bill: Yechury (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Lokayukta out of Lokpal, bill in Rajya Sabha May 21 - May 15, 2012
- Government's fresh bid to end Lokpal logjam fails (Roundup) - Mar 23, 2012
- Opposition, allies flay provision fotr Lokayukta - Dec 29, 2011
- Political games cloud Lokpal bill's fate (Intro Evening Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Government trying for consensus on Lokpal bill - May 14, 2012
- After Lokpal, hope floats for quota in women's bill - Dec 25, 2011
- Speaker to meet politicians on women's reservation bill - Jul 13, 2011
- Lokpal in Rajya Sabha, Congress in Trinamool tangle (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- All party meet likely on Lokpal bill - Mar 21, 2012
- Lokpal bill gets wobbly in Rajya Sabha (Night Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Government seeks support on Lokpal, opposition for changes (Second Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: amendment bill, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, budget session, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, constitutional amendment, government representatives, government steps, janata, Lok Sabha, parliamentarians, rajya sabha, rjd, samaj, Samajwadi Party, senior minister, sitaram yechury, time in hand, winter session