Government should withdraw Lokpal bill: YechuryAugust 24th, 2011 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 24 (IANS) Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Sitaram Yechury Wednesday urged the government to withdraw the Lokpal bill from parliament and bring a new draft incorporating provisions from the bills prepared by Team Anna, other civil society groups and suggestions given by MPs.
Speaking to reporters after an all-party meet at prime minister’s residence, Yechury said the government had conveyed at the meeting that it will come with a final draft of Lokpal bill in parliament.
“It (the government) has said that a final draft of bill will be brought. It is for the government to decide the mechanism,” Yechury said.
He said that keeping in view the government’s decision, Hazare should withdraw his fast.
Yechury said his party agreed with some provisions of Jan Lokpal bill of Team Anna but it also had some disagreements.
Answering queries, Yechury said that the new bill to be brought by the government cannot be passed in this session.
“Procedures should not be violated. These are serious issues,” he said.
- Team Anna meets CPI-M over Lokpal bill - Nov 25, 2011
- All party meeting urges Hazare to end fast (Lead) - Aug 24, 2011
- Consensus eludes all-party meet on Lokpal bill (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Take back Lokpal Bill, bring new draft, says Sushma - Aug 24, 2011
- Implement Anna's demands, but under constitution: Yechury - Aug 27, 2011
- Rajya Sabha members want stronger measures against graft - Aug 25, 2011
- Standoff continues, PM says anything can happen - Aug 24, 2011
- PM's all-party meet fails to break Lokpal jam (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- All party meet on Lokpal bill ends amid differences (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- NDA, Left attend all-party Lokpal meeting (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- 'PM, Group C employees may be brought under Lokpal ambit' - Dec 12, 2011
- Favour excluding PM from Lokpal: Congress - Jul 01, 2011
- Committed to effective Lokpal based on political consensus: PM (Second Lead) - Dec 14, 2011
- All-party meeting on Lokpal bill Sunday - Jul 03, 2011
- Allow parliamentary process to be completed, urges Pranab - Aug 25, 2011
Tags: civil society groups, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, disagreements, final draft, mps, New Delhi, parliament, prime minister, provisions, queries, sitaram yechury