Government mulling constitutional status to minorities panelJune 11th, 2009 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 11 (IANS) Minister of State for Minority Affairs Salman Khurshid Thursday said the government was considering giving constitutional status to the National Minorities Commission and would decide on reservation for Muslims after studying the Andhra Pradesh and Kerala models.
“We want to give the minorities commission a constitutional status and will try our best for that,” Khurshid told reporters after a meeting with the commission members.
Asked about reservation for Muslims, Khurshid said: “We keep on getting such demands. We will see it within the constitutional framework.
“We are studying the models of Andhra Pradesh and Kerala. And we might adopt it,” he added.
In Andhra Pradesh there is four percent reservation for Muslims who are recognised among the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes, while in Kerala, the quota is 12 percent across the board.
On providing scholarships to Muslim students, the minister said the Sachar Committee appointed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in 2005 to study the socio-economic condition of Muslims in India had spoken about affirmative action and the government was working on it.
He refused to comment on granting minority status to the Aligarh Muslim University and Jamia Millia Islamia University. He only said: “The matter is sub judice.”
- AMU, Jamia born with minority character: Salman Khurshid - Mar 12, 2011
- 'Jamia's minority status a boon for Muslim students' - May 12, 2011
- MIM wants immediate steps for reservations for Muslims - Sep 25, 2011
- Jamia to continue with its minority status: High Court - May 18, 2011
- Jamia secular in spirit: Vice chancellor - Feb 22, 2011
- Jamia's minority status won't make it a madrassa: Vice chancellor (Interview) - Feb 25, 2011
- Government backs decision on minority status to Jamia - Sep 20, 2011
- Sachar committee member demands creation of Indian Waqf Service - Jul 11, 2011
- Government files documents on minority sub-quota plea - Jun 12, 2012
- Have not violated poll code, says Khurshid - Jan 11, 2012
- Jamia is minority institution, rules commission - Feb 22, 2011
- Quota row: Poll panel notice to Khurshid on BJP's complaint (Night Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Reservation issue for minorities does not concern Muslims alone: Salman Khurshid - Mar 19, 2011
- BJP moves EC over Khurshid's remarks on Muslim quota (Evening Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Wrong to say madrassas hub of terrorism: Author - Aug 12, 2011
Tags: aligarh muslim university, andhra pradesh, castes, commission members, constitutional framework, constitutional status, economic condition, jamia millia islamia, jamia millia islamia university, khurshid, manmohan, manmohan singh, minorities commission, minority affairs, minority status, muslim students, muslims in india, national minorities, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh