Government exporting food, keeping people hungry: Brinda KaratAugust 1st, 2012 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Agartala, Aug 1 (IANS) CPI-M leader Brinda Karat Wednesday accused the central government of exporting food grain through big traders for use as animal fodder while keeping people hungry in the country.
“Already the Congress-led UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government has sold 25 lakh tonnes of food grains to big businessmen, who would export them for the purpose of animal foodstuff in various countries,” Karat, a Communist Party of India-Marxist politburo member, told a large gathering of people here.
“The government has decided to export more food grain when crores of people are starving,” she said.
According to her, over eight crore tonnes of food grain were stored across the country against the stipulated buffer stock of three crore tonnes.
“Food grains being exported, huge stock of foodstuff getting damaged in godowns or outside godowns. People are dying in hunger. Is it a government of the common man,” she said.
She was speaking at a gathering organised here as part of the Left parties’ nationwide rallies and demonstrations demanding a comprehensive food security bill in parliament.
“The faulty food security bill will create food insecurity,” Karat said.
Demanding universalisation of the public distribution system, she asked the government to abolish the below poverty line (BPL) and the above poverty line (APL) categorisation since it further deprived people from getting sufficient food grain from the government supply system.
- Left meets PM, demands excess food be distributed - Aug 04, 2012
- Release excess food for the poor: CPI-M - Jun 11, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Pulses, edible oils may be subsidised to reduce prices: Food Minister (Interview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Empowered Ministers to discuss apex court order on foodgrains - Sep 02, 2010
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Rice at Rs.2 a kg for poor in Tripura: Sarkar - Jul 12, 2012
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Poor want reformed PDS, not cash transfers - Aug 11, 2011
- PUCL approaches apex court on foodgrain for needy families - Sep 24, 2010
- Government promises 'reasonably priced' food for all - Aug 10, 2011
- Food security bill to be tabled in monsoon session - Jul 26, 2011
- Centre to offload 6 months PDS grains - May 24, 2012
- Parliamentary panel on food bill to meet Jan 23 - Jan 18, 2012
- Centre, Bengal spar over food grain allotment utilisation - Jul 11, 2012
Tags: agartala, alliance government, animal fodder, buffer stock, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, exporting food, faulty food, food grain, food grains, food insecurity, foodstuff, government supply, left parties, politburo member, poverty line, progressive alliance, public distribution system, rallies and demonstrations, security bill