Government asked to make statement on Libya evacuationMarch 4th, 2011 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 4 (IANS) The government was Friday directed by Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman K. Rahman Khan to make a statement on the evacuation of Indian citizens from Libya in view of the concern expressed by members about delays.
The deputy chairman said the government should make a statement by Monday. However, several members, including those from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), demanded an early reply.
The deputy chairman said all members were concerned about the situation and the government should make a statement before the house rises for the day.
Raising the issue during the zero hour, Tiruchi Siva of DMK said that several other countries such as China and Philippines had evacuated all their citizens from Libya but the Indian government had so far evacuated only about 7,000 Indians from the strife-torn country.
“Why (there is) slow progress from Indian side,” he said.
An estimated 18,000 Indians were in Libya when the protests began against the Muammar Gaddafi regime in Libya last month.
- All Indians to be evacuated from Libya by March 10 - Mar 04, 2011
- India to evacuate its citizens, condemns use of force in Libya - Feb 23, 2011
- All Indians to be evacuated from Libya by March 10 (Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Evacuation of Indians from Libya to be over today - Mar 10, 2011
- IAF to fly Indians out of Libya - Mar 02, 2011
- US envoy lauds Indian Govt.'s efforts over evacuation from Libya - Mar 09, 2011
- India to wrap up safe evacuation operation in Libya - Mar 09, 2011
- Libyan crisis: India seeks aircraft landing rights in Sehba - Feb 28, 2011
- 67 more Indians return from Libya - Feb 28, 2011
- Two more flights bring back 600 Indians from Libya - Mar 01, 2011
- 9,200 Indians rescued from Libya, thousands still left - Mar 05, 2011
- India offers assistance to Libya for political transition - Oct 20, 2011
- India sends ship to Libya to evacuate 1,200 Indians - Feb 24, 2011
- Families of Indians stranded in Libya fear for their safety - Mar 07, 2011
- India seeks evacuation permission from interior Libya (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, china, deputy chairman, dmk, gaddafi regime, indian citizens, indian government, indians, libya, muammar gaddafi, New Delhi, philippines, protests, rajya sabha, reply, siva, slow progress, strife, zero hour