Gorkhaland will not solve problems: YechuryApril 22nd, 2009 - 12:39 am ICT by IANS
Darjeeling, April 21 (IANS) Formation of a separate state of Gorkhaland will not solve problems faced by people in West Bengal’s Darjeeling hills, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) politburo member Sitaram Yechury said here Monday.
Addressing the maiden election meeting organised by the CPI-M in the hills of north Bengal in the run-up to the Lok Sabha polls April 30, Yechury said tripartite talks involving the state and central governments and the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) were the only way to find a solution to the Gorkhaland crisis.
He said if the Third Front, in which the CPI-M was playing a major role, was voted to power, Darjeeling hills will get a higher level of autonomy.
The meeting in support of CPI-M candidate Jibesh Sarkar at Chawkbazar in the heart of Darjeeling town attracted a motley crowd.
Lambasting the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) for following “anti-people policies”, Yechury said none of these two combinations would be able to form the next government at the centre after the polls.
Ridiculing the BJP’s decision to field its veteran leader Jaswant Singh from Darjeeling with the support of pro-Gorkhaland GJM, Yechury said: “Jaswant Singh is no longer a heavyweight candidate”.
- Darjeeling accord an alarm signal: CPI-M - Jul 17, 2011
- Buddhadeb accuses Trinamool of colluding with GJM - Feb 13, 2011
- 'Fear factor' missing from Darjeeling campaigning, say parties - Apr 12, 2011
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- GJM faces heat from rival parties for strong-arm tactics - Jul 07, 2012
- CPI-M seeks poll panel's intervention in Darjeeling - Apr 07, 2009
- Mamata blames centre for delay on Gorkha autonomy - Feb 11, 2012
- GJM's support to Trinamool won't affect ties: BJP - Apr 08, 2011
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Our MLAs will resign once they win Bengal polls: GJM - Apr 13, 2011
- Ghising, Tamang's wife giving tough fight to GJM - Apr 15, 2011
- CPI-M attacks GJM over Darjeeling agreement - Jun 07, 2011
- Madan Tamang's widow to contest from Darjeeling - Mar 30, 2011
- Upset over panel report, GJM threatens to renew agitation (Second Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Darjeeling CPI-M candidate faces GJM protests - Apr 07, 2009
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, central governments, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, CPI, darjeeling hills, gjm, gorkha, lok sabha polls, motley crowd, national democratic alliance, north bengal, politburo member, progressive alliance, sarkar, tripartite talks, UPA, veteran leader, west bengal