Gorkha Janamukti Morcha to be part of NDAApril 3rd, 2009 - 3:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 3 (IANS) The Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM) will be a part of the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and support Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Jaswant Singh for the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat in West Bengal.
Announcing this while releasing the BJP poll manifesto here Friday, the party’s prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani said the decision was reached after discussions with top GJM leaders.
GJM president Bimal Gurung and general secretary Roshan Giri have been camping in Delhi for the last two days, to hold discussions with the BJP. The GJM is spearheading an agitation for a separate state to be formed out of Darjeeling and the foothills of the Himalayas that are now a part of West Bengal.
BJP president Rajnath Singh announced earlier at the same venue that Jaswant Singh - now the party’s leader in the Rajya Sabha - will be the party’s candidate from the Darjeeling Lok Sabha seat. With the support of the GJM, he is expected to be a shoo-in.
- BJP promises Gorkhaland, GJM joins NDA (Lead) - Apr 03, 2009
- GJM candidates only ones in fray in about half of GTA seats - Jul 12, 2012
- GJM joins NDA on Gorkhaland promise, but allies unhappy (Roundup) - Apr 03, 2009
- All CPI-M candidates pull out of Gorkhaland polls - Jul 12, 2012
- Trucks torched, Gorkhaland demand intensifies in Darjeeling (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Jaswant Singh files nomination from Darjeeling - Apr 09, 2009
- New agency vital for Darjeeling people's identity: Gurung - Jul 18, 2011
- Shutdown cripples life in Darjeeling for sixth day (Lead) - Feb 14, 2011
- GJM to take part in GTA polls - Jun 30, 2012
- New state will be Gorkha Adivasi Pradesh, says Gurung - May 31, 2010
- GJM pitches for hills' representation in Rajya Sabha - Mar 24, 2012
- GJM's support to Trinamool won't affect ties: BJP - Apr 08, 2011
- Our MLAs will resign once they win Bengal polls: GJM - Apr 13, 2011
- Darjeeling set for historic treaty - amid controversy - Jul 17, 2011
- Draft of Gorkhaland accord finalised, to be signed soon - Jul 08, 2011
Tags: agitation, bimal, bjp president, darjeeling, general secretary, giri, gjm, gurung, himalayas, l k advani, Lok Sabha, manifesto, national democratic alliance, nda, New Delhi, prime ministerial candidate, rajnath singh, rajya sabha, roshan, west bengal