Good that people have given ‘job’ to my son, quips PranabMay 15th, 2011 - 4:10 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 15 (IANS) Happy at his son Abhijit Mukherjee’s victory in the West Bengal assembly polls, union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Sunday said it was good that the people have given him a “job” as he had taken voluntary retirement to contest the elections.
“Of course, as father, I am happy at his success,” Mukherjee told reporters here.
The Congress heavyweight recalled that after taking voluntary retirement from a key post with a company, Abhijit Mukherjee had told a newspaper that the only problem he faced after waking up in the morning was that he had no work to do.
“He found he does not have to leave for office at 9.30 a.m. Then the newspaper commented that perhaps he is seeking a job from the people of Nalhati (constituency). Good that the people of Nalhati have given him a job to serve them,” the union finance minister said.
Pranab Mukerjee, however, said that Abhijit for him was just one of the 65 Congress candidates in the polls. “I have given as much time campaigning in his constituency as I have given for other candidates.”
Abhijit, 51, won from the rural constituency close to the Jharkhand border in Birbhum district by a margin of 15,160 votes over his Forward Bloc rival Dipak Chatterjee.
- Pranab Mukherjee's son wins in Bengal - May 13, 2011
- I am depending on father's and Mamata's vote bank, says Pranab's son - Apr 21, 2011
- Pranab's son made Bengal unit general secretary - Aug 04, 2011
- Pranab Mukherjee's son to join Congress Friday - Mar 07, 2011
- Polling underway for second phase of West Bengal elections - Apr 23, 2011
- Pranab's son, daughter-in-law own assets worth Rs.5 crore - Apr 06, 2011
- Pranab's son votes for father - Jul 19, 2012
- 53 percent polling in West Bengal till 2 p.m. - Apr 23, 2011
- 'Pranab's son wants to fill father's Lok Sabha seat' - Jul 24, 2012
- Large turnout amid sporadic violence in Bengal civic polls (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Pranab's son joins Congress, to contest (Lead) - Mar 14, 2011
- Brisk polling amid sporadic violence in Bengal civic polls - Jun 03, 2012
- Process for Bengal's second phase poll begins Wednesday - Mar 29, 2011
- 293 nominees in fray for second phase of Bengal polls - Apr 11, 2011
- W. Bengal polls: 16 per cent votes cast in first two hours - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,