Going by science, Bt. Brinjal is safe: Prithviraj ChavanFebruary 14th, 2010 - 4:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 14 (IANS) Days after the environment ministry put a moratorium on the introduction of Bt Brinjal into India, science minister Prithviraj Chavan said here that there is no point “emotionalising the issue” as science finds the crop safe for humans.
“Let’s not emotionalise the issue and discuss it on the basis of science. We are satisfied and if we go by science alone, Bt Brinjal is safe for human consumption,” Chavan said here.
“Scientists working in the field are satisfied. The whole exercise of over 9 years (of research) tells that it is safe. There are three stages of bio safety checks and all have positive results,” he told reporters late Saturday.
The minister said he will give a statement on the floor of Parliament.
“I am going to set up a bio technology regulatory authority,” he said assuring to solve any problem related to GM products.
On Feb 9, environment minister Jairam Ramesh put a moratorium on Bt Brinjal seeking more safety tests to satisfy those opposing it.
- Decision on Bt. Brinjal not influenced by NGOs: Jairam (Second Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Bt.Brinjal decision not influenced by NGOs, asserts Jairam (Lead) - Feb 26, 2012
- Parliamentary panel seeks probe into Bt Brinjal (Second Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Bt Brinjal moratorium to stay: Ramesh - Feb 24, 2010
- No question of lifting moratorium on Bt Brinjal: Ramesh - Sep 27, 2010
- Decision on Bt. Brinjal not influenced by NGOs: Jairam - Feb 25, 2012
- PM upholds moratorium on Bt Brinjal - Feb 24, 2010
- Parliamentary panel seeks probe into Bt Brinjal (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- No GM crop trials without states' consent: Jairam Ramesh - Mar 09, 2011
- India is sharply divided over introduction of Bt Brinjal - Feb 09, 2010
- Greenpeace says moratorium on Bt Brinjal not a long-term solution - Feb 09, 2010
- Prime Minister to discuss Bt-brinjal issue - Feb 24, 2010
- Farmers, green groups welcome moratorium on Bt Brinjal - Feb 09, 2010
- Recommendations on Bt Brinjal remain unchanged: Academies - Sep 28, 2010
- Centre says no to commercialisation of Bt Brinjal - Feb 09, 2010
Tags: basis of science, bio safety, bio technology, brinjal, environment minister, exercise, feb 14, gm, gm products, human consumption, India, moratorium, New Delhi, parliament, regulatory authority, safety checks, safety tests, science minister, scientists