Gogoi urges PM to implement FDI in retail sectorJune 7th, 2012 - 8:00 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 7 (IANS) Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has urged Prime Minister Manmogan Singh to implement the decision to allow foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail.
“I have urged the prime minister for early implementation of this policy,” Gogoi told reporters in Delhi Wednesday. He said the move would help bring foreign investments, technologies and efficiencies in the country.
The Congress-led United Progress Alliance (UPA) government last year put on hold the decision to allow 51 percent FDI in multi-brand retail following strong opposition from some quarters, including allies like the Trinamool Congress.
Naming Trinamool chief and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamama Banerjee, Gogoi said crucial policy decisions like FDI in multi-brand retail should not be held hostage to opposition by some state governments.
“Mamata does not want to implement FDI, it’s her decision but she cannot infringe upon my right as a state chief minister who wants FDI,” he said.
“Some states are opposing this, let them oppose. But those states, who want, should not be deprived of this decision as it will help in improving agri-economy. We hope that the central government will take early decision on this,” he said.
Gogoi said: “This decision holds significance in unlocking the true potential of our agrarian economy as, in the absence of adequate logistics and infrastructure, a larger part of farm produce never reaches the market.”
- Gogoi bats for FDI in multi-brand retail sector - Jun 09, 2012
- We are not against FDI in retail: Akhilesh Yadav - Jul 24, 2012
- Trinamool's pull-out vindicates our strike call: Left - Sep 19, 2012
- States have prerogative not to allow FDI in multi-brand retail: Government - Sep 18, 2012
- Trinamool to continue opposition to FDI in retail - Aug 10, 2012
- Amit Mitra shifts stand on FDI in retail - Nov 28, 2011
- We will protect shopkeepers against FDI: Karat - Jan 20, 2012
- Mamata Banerjee opposes FDI in retail, insurance and aviation - Aug 23, 2012
- Trinamool toughens stance, UPA says no danger (Evening Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- BJP open to discussing FDI in multi-brand retail - Dec 21, 2011
- No reversing decision on FDI in multi-brand retail: Sharma - Jul 27, 2012
- Ally Trinamool joins BJP, Left in opposing FDI in retail - Nov 24, 2011
- Anand Sharma writes to parties clarifying FDI stance - Nov 28, 2011
- Nitish Kumar opposes FDI in retail - Jul 31, 2012
- FDI in retail will be a tsunami for economy: Karunanidhi - Nov 28, 2011
Tags: agrarian economy, allies, assam, banerjee, central government, chief minister, early decision, efficiencies, farm produce, fdi in retail sector, foreign direct investment, foreign investments, hostage, mamama, policy decisions, state governments, tarun, trinamool congress, UPA, west bengal