Goa’s offshore casinos running without mandatory NOCsMarch 16th, 2011 - 2:54 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, March 16 (IANS) Three offshore casinos, including India’s biggest one, have been operating on the Mandovi river in Goa without a mandatory no objection certificate (NOC) for nearly two years, a minister said Wednesday.
Minister for Ports Nilkanth Halarnkar told the Goa legislative assembly that the three casino vessels were operating on expired NOCs.
“Action will be taken against these casino operators if they do not provide the required NOCs by April,” Halarnkar assured the assembly after the opposition grilled the minister for allowing the casinos to operate illegally.
The casinos with expired NOCs are M.V. Casino Royale, M.V. San Domino and M.V. Boa Sorte. NOCs of the first two expired in 2009.
Casino Royale is India’s largest casino vessel. It has five operational decks with over 12,000 sq ft of gaming area, and has 50 gaming tables and 30 slot machines.
Even ruling bench legislators took the minister to task over the failure to check contamination of the Mandovi river due to sewage discharged by the seven casino vessels anchored on it.
“Fish are vanishing from the Mandovi river because of contamination of its waters following illegal sewage discharge from the casino vessels. The Arabian sea is pushing the sewage inwards into the river, further contaminating it,” Congress legislator Dayanand Narvekar told the assembly.
Speaker Pratapsingh Rane has asked the state environment ministry to probe into the contamination issue.
- Goa to stop five offshore casinos after their permits lapse - Jul 27, 2009
- Goa to use PPP to develop four prime properties - Mar 16, 2011
- Women's group claims Goa government in cahoots with casinos - Aug 13, 2012
- Goa orders closure of two offshore casinos - Jan 31, 2011
- Goa's floating casinos dumping sewage into river: Panel - Jul 23, 2010
- Goa offshore casinos: Government told to suspend operations - Jun 25, 2009
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Casino revenue could fund Goa's old age homes: Parrikar - Aug 08, 2012
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- A third of Goa's population dependent on tourism: Minister - Feb 01, 2011
- BJP budget blows hot and cold on Goa's offshore casinos - Mar 27, 2012
- Goan casinos seek cut in proposed entry fee - Jul 30, 2009
- 240 people granted arms licences in Goa - Apr 09, 2011
- Disney-style theme park, marina and ropeway proposed for Goa - Sep 05, 2011
- Goa BJP waters down stance on offshore casinos - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: arabian sea, assembly speaker, boa sorte, casino operators, casino royale, casino vessel, casino vessels, gaming area, gaming tables, goa, legislative assembly, legislator, mandovi river, nocs, objection certificate, offshore casinos, pratapsingh rane, san domino, sewage, state environment